Testing A Possible New Way To Tune A Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dr.Mark, Jul 3, 2013.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
  2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It will work with well rosined cotton twine.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    That deaf, dumb and blind KT sure plays a mean King Trumpet!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFrDpx7zLtA

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Poor, poor KT....if he can't hear above 8kHz he'll never discover how bright he is......

5. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    The graphs were intended to settle this matter of supposed "pure" tones from one horn or another. The spectrum from the Committee indicates someone blowing bright and loud. (There may have also been some distortion in the process of ripping the audio from YouTube which could add to the harmonic content). It's certainly nothing to do with performance. I had someone asleep in my house when I sampled the Olds Super and the Flugel so I didn't blow the t*ts off them and the sound was more mellow or "dark" - that is sharper roll-off of harmonics.
    I couldn't find a sample of Miles playing without backing. His sounds would produce a graph more like that from my Super.

The reason your Moog synth produced sawtooth waves is that a sawtooth contains both odd and even harmonics - like brass, strings and many other instruments. This provides a base sound which can be filtered to produce a sound like a real instrument or whatever the player wants. Sawtooth is as dirty as you can get. As you can see in the graphs below - sine, sawtooth and square waves. The pure sine wave has one frequency. In this case Bb4 466.16Hz - sounds a bit like a flute (only in tune :-)). The sawtooth has both odd and even harmonics and square just even. Note that a true sawtooth or square wave would show equal amplitude harmonics. My signal generator has quite a bit of roll-off. As per VB's post, the trumpet waveform is very close to sawtooth.

My horns all make impure sounds - it's the only way to go.

http://[​IMG]

6. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    ...and a perfectly tuned piano? Boy is that a whole 'nother can of worms :-)

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Spectrum of trumpet overtones:

[​IMG]

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Your graphs won' settle the matter... and in the end... it's not the impure sounds your horn makes but the quality of sound your brain detect. Until you can demonstrate the evoked potential EEG response and if it does or does not correlate to the various spectra generated by the horn... your graphs will prove nothing. They only tell half the story... It would be nice however to finish the book.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Hmm, someone needs to pump up the volume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cak1xly8oUM

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    "...My signal generator has quite a bit of roll-off. As per VB's post, the trumpet waveform is very close to sawtooth."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Compare your saw tooth from the graphs above to the wave spectrum of these horns below, the horns truncate out earlier and has a lot of density in the lower portion of the graph... this really does effect what the ear hears based on distortion of pressure waves at the hair cells of the inner ear.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013