Testing A Possible New Way To Tune A Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dr.Mark, Jul 3, 2013.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Now you finally have come clean why you post this hair brained stuff, you are trying to drive me off.

I am always interested in novel approaches to important stuff. In your case, many arguments die after the first critical view. Then you start answering line for line - with even more crazy stuff. Funny thing is, you always cave when facts are presented, and counter with more conjecture.

Countering the ridiculous has been great fun here.

If you want me out of your threads, post them where they belong - in the lounge. Then we all have a laugh.

I have no power, not even a smidgin. I can give people a break, but that is NEVER part of the argument.

Moral of the story: post questionables, and you will get called out. If you can back the thesis up, great. If not, like with this thread, your problem.

One more time just for you: Tuning of a trumpet needs the whole working system. Take one brace out of the picture and you can start over. There is no Golden Rule for the length of leadpipes, tuning slides, maybe there should be, but that was not the topic here. Just about every horn that I have had with a tuning bell, was inherently better in tune than similar horns with conventional tuning slides. That shows me that the first half of the horn length is very critical and can be all over the map as far as intonation goes. Your mileage may vary, but considering the presented content, I have my doubts.

So, don't count on safe haven here. I have too much respect for those that really want to become better trumpet players.

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    It's called "confirmation bias". You said that this effect is real, they tried it, and by golly it worked! Except total coincidence.

Tom

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I immediately thought of this song following this "back and forth" since we've been here before.

https://vimeo.com/31680681

Hope it doesn't happen.

4. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    ---
    i didn't expect vetpsychwars! Did you try it!
    Also, confirmation bias is when a researcher only gives attention to what works and disregards the stuff that doesn't. I know full well that it doesn't work on some horns.
    So, did you try it? If so, what did you find?
    Dr.Mark

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Let's not confuse the issue, it NEVER worked. The tuning of the complete horn has nothing to do with a subset. Basic math and a bit of common sense.

6. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    ---
    Hi Stuart,
    Ain't that the truth! Is it a matter of people wanting to hear what they want to hear or is there a physical component to it. For my Strad (actually every Bach strad 37/180 that tried the method) found something interesting.
    That actually may be a great research idea using this method of tuning and audio interpretation.
    How much is belief verses a real physical phenomenon. Many have found something. As for "why" it appears to work, I leave that to those that want (and are skilled) to do the math. It's just a fun thing to try out.
    Dr.Mark

7. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Made me think it was time for the fat lady

tobylou8 likes this.
  8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Great intro music (trumpets, not violins)!!!!

Sethoflagos likes this.
  9. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    ---
    Really? YOU said it worked two years ago.
    Just damned. Anything that causes this much of a stir, there must be something to it!
    This should be the point (or near) where you shut the thread down. You have two power bases, one being a moderator and the other being the internet. Yes! the internet as an insulator! Over the years, you've hurt people's feeling, by coming across as condescending and superior and anything that doesn't fit your way, gets hit hard instread of communicating in a civil manner. You've chased away many good people from this site. Granted some were sent away for good cause, but many have exited the site as a direct result of your caustic behavior. What the heck good are pearls of wisdom if they are served up with a barbed wire. It would be great to require you to speak face to face (in the same manner you do on the internet) with the people that have left this site with hurt feelings. Yep, I'd like to be a fly on the wall if that were to happen. That would be a good show.
    To the rest:
    Anyone find anything? If you want to say "Why you found or Why you didn't find find" that would be okay but what was found is all that there is. It's found or not.
    Unfortunately, rowuk has made this un-fun (remember, it was suppose to be something fun to try) so now that the fun has been taken out of it, it's best to say away from this novel little discovery. Whatever you do, DON'T DO IT!!! If you do, do it, whatever you do, DON'T REPORT!! It will stain your mind!
    Dr.Mark

10. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi tobylou8,
    Okay, I quit..
    Dr.Mark