Testing A Possible New Way To Tune A Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dr.Mark, Jul 3, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahhh, but this will define the difference between good ensemble play and great ensemble play...

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I tried this out using my finger to ring the bell (no violin bow). As far as sounding better goes, I did not find this; the trumpet (a Shires Destino III with a Monette B2S3 classic mouthpiece) sounded just fine and felt just fine no matter where the slide was, just the tuning was different. However, when the bell-ring and the leadpipe+slide blow sounded in tune with one another, and the slide reinserted as instructed the position pretty much matched exactly where I have it set when I tune it with a tuner or my electric piano. I haven't time tonight to try this out on some other horns but will have a go.

--bumblebee

3. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    How different are these from where you normally had them?

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The Martin Committee is exactly where it is set when I play with other ensembles.
    The Ambassador is way sharp when set in balance, about a half inch in then when I play it with ensembles.
    The Mendez is only about an 1/8 inch away from ensemble playing.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Anyways -- I only tried 1 trumpet so far (I guess because that is all I picked up yesterday - ROFL) -- but it was my King Silver Flair (1055) pre-umi, but in any case to NOT BIAS my thoughts -- I closed my eyes when I pulled the slide out to match the bell vibration. OK, so it was 1 and 1/16ths inch --- and half of that is (more or less) a tad over half an inch. ((which by the way, just happened to be -- my usual setting, and where the tuner is ----- well for all practical explanations -- IN TUNE)) ---- and yeah, that is my story!!!! ----------------uhm, yeah, it actually seems to work!!!!

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Nice work, KT. Yeah this is a cool thing and you know now the sweet point where your trumpet will be in balance with optimal tone.

7. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I agree. I suspect that it doesn't have to do with the metal as much as the volume of the bell, behaving like a Helmholtz resonator. I also suspect the effect would be more pronounced in the flugels and cornets.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You know, you could do the test on the flugelhorn, but since the leadpipe on flugels go directly into the first valve, you would have to remove the first valve in order to open the leadpipe connection into the horn.

9. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Congratulations, you've just discovered that the tuning slide bottom is approximately the middle of the horn.

As someone else has asked, what happens when you press a valve and all of the sudden your horn is "out of balance" again?

Did you know that "gullible" isn't in the dictionary?

Tm

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The title of the thread is: Testing A Possible New Way To Tune A Trumpet. When you press the valve you are playing, not tuning... Read the thread title closely

Ahhh but it is... Websters states:
    gull·ible
    adjective \ˈgə-lə-bəl\
    Definition of GULLIBLE
    : easily duped or cheated
    Variants of GULLIBLE
    gull·ible also gull·able
    Examples of GULLIBLE
    I'm not gullible enough to believe something that outrageous.
    They sell overpriced souvenirs to gullible tourists.

First Known Use of GULLIBLE
    Tom, perhaps you need to upgrade and buy a new dictionary to replace your prior to 1818 published dictionary.

Feeling a bit condescending again Thomas?