Testing A Possible New Way To Tune A Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dr.Mark, Jul 3, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Tuned my Kanstul 1526 flutelhorn today. By removing the first valve, you can tune the leadpipe, and this tunes out at 1/4" (no halving the distance as this is in direct line to the valve casing).

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    No, I feel like you all are a bunch of idiots for even entertaining this nonsense.

Because it IS rampant nonsense. This is not condescension, this is me calling this rampant horsefeathers.

The emperor has no clothes.

Tom

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Need a Monitor check on Post 32, our friend Tom is becoming vulgar once again. I do believe we have rules about this on such posts.

4. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Excuse me? This IS nonsense. This is like me claiming that eating dandelions cures cancer.

I'm sorry if the term horsfeathers offends you for this rampant nonsense. How about you pay attention to a little basic physics? Or is your whole goal to silence the guy calling horsefathers on this nonsense?

I expect a guy with an advanced degree to be a little smarter. I guess I was wrong.

Tom

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Tom, the term bull**** offends most people, especially when used in the condescending context that you have chose to use for the past couple of weeks here on TM. If you were sorry, you wouldn't keep doing it again and again. I think if you are not feeling well, you should consider taking time away until the time the issues you are confronting are resolved. As for the additional personal insult you added to the end of the above comment, yet another rule has been violated on TM. Please stick to the rules here or chill out for a bit... I kindly request of you, please.

6. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    OK, scallywag.

I call it horsefeathers because I am sick and tired of people who don't know what they're talking about trying to silence the voice of reason.

Yes, you can buzz your mouthpipe and slide and find a resonant frequency. Fine.

You cannot take a violin bow and vibrate the bell and get the resonance of the air column within. IMPOSSIBLE.

If you want that frequency? Fine. Put your lips on your lower slide where the tuning slide goes in and buzz it. You might get a resonant frequency.

You know what's missing from your magic method?

You're never accounting for the three inches of overlap when you put your tuning slide back into the horn.

Now I will thank you never say anything to me again because I am tired of your nonsense.

I welcome being banned because I never want to deal with your nonsense ever again. I was prepared to welcome you as a friend but it's clear to me that you are... ah what's the point, you'll just spout your same nonsense again.

I repeat: the emperor has no clothes.

I'm done with this. Be well in your delusions.

Tom

7. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    Much of what is posted on TM is opinion, experience, or preference.
    There are lots of "techniques" that people believe in, from amateurs to professionals alike, in all sorts of professions.

I sometimes read things folks post and giggle to myself about how unscientific something is, and other times I simply don't have any data to back up what someone is claiming. Either way, I don't get all worked up over it. It's an Internet forum, its not real life.

I don't get offended by language of any kind but do take offense at Tom belittling others on here.
    Not cool.

8. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    I'm not gmonady, I'm the guy who came up with the idea so your barbs should be directed to me so I'll field your comments on this one as if you're talking to me:

OK, smartass.
    ----
    That's not nice at all regardless of the community that visits here.
    ----
    I call it bullshit because I am sick and tired of people who don't know what they're talking about trying to silence the voice of reason.
    ----
    If you are the arbitor of reason I have one question, Did you try it?
    ----
    Yes, you can buzz your mouthpipe and slide and find a resonant frequency. Fine.
    ----
    Still waiting, did you try it?
    ----
    You cannot take a violin bow and vibrate the bell and get the resonance of the air column within. IMPOSSIBLE.
    ----
    Nowhere in the instructions is there anything about any air columns. All I know is that a very distinct sound comes off the bell when I tap it or bow it and a very distinct sound comes out of the tuning slide when I use it as directed. When I match the two pitches, my tuning slide ends up where it usually is and this holds true for all my horns except for a cheap 1983 Olds Ambassador made in Holland.
    ----
    If you want that frequency? Fine. Put your lips on your lower slide where the tuning slide goes in and buzz it. You might get a resonant frequency.
    ----
    I still ask, did you try it?
    ----
    You know what's missing from your magic method?
    ----
    A rabbit,a hat. and a lovely assistant?
    ----
    You're never accounting for the three inches of overlap when you put your tuning slide back into the horn.
    ----
    I'm not taking anything into account. All I know is if I follow this method, it works for me. Why not share the phenomenon and see what others discover? Sharing is a bad thing?
    ----
    Now I will thank you never say anything to me again because I am tired of your BULLSHIT.
    ----
    Whew!?! You sure it make it easy given your current behavior.
    ----
    I welcome being banned because I never want to deal with your nonsense ever again. I was prepared to welcome you as a friend but it's clear to me that you are... ah what's the point, you'll just spout your same nonsense again.
    ----
    Someone needs a time out.
    ----
    I repeat: the emperor has no clothes.
    ----
    And even naked, he wasn't afraid to try something new. Did you try it yet? Clothing optional.
    ----
    I'm done with this. Be well in your delusions.
    ----
    I don't think so. You'll be back with a bunch of numbers, resources, a gaggle of cuts and pastes to prove definatively that it can't work while more and more people are investigating the phenomenon for what it is, an interesting phenomenon and something neat to try. I hope people will put you on point when you come back armed with all your data and ask you four little words: "Did You Try It"?
    Dr.Mark

motteatoj likes this.
  9. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I am sorry I interfered with your freedom of religion.

Carry on.

Tom

10. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    VPW
    You're quoting the Bible? Matthew 7:15?
    Wow, pulling out religious snippets as a means to win a conversation you don't wish to have. I'm truly sorry that this topic has upset you. Why it has is beyond me. All it is, is a silly discovery that might be of use. Just think if it helps someone or leads to other more important discoveries. I feel safe in saying, "That's a good thing".
    Dr.Mark