Testing A Possible New Way To Tune A Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dr.Mark, Jul 3, 2013.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I tried it on my Olds Studio. I had to work to get a tone out of lead pipe by blowing without buzzing but I also had the experience that matching ringing the bell was about the same place I normally tune it.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    of course -- the Olds Super has the "tone ring" on the bell -- which leads me to wonder if that has been put there by the designer/manufacture for a solid reasoning to do with the tuning!!? just a question of sorts!!!

3. ShaneChalke

ShaneChalke Pianissimo User

Dec 11, 2008
    Banner Elk, NC
    So I tried the experiment... I hear a lot more overtones on the Schilke than the Rembrandt. Interesting that maybe you can predict how dark a horn is by pinging the bell? The Rembrandt sounds terribly cheap when you ping the bell (more like a thud), but man that horn sounds sweet...

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So, I think the test we are running may be finding similar outcomes. The bell/leadpipe balance tuning at tuned piano (orchestra) with identical tuning slide length, and not hearing harmonic, may actually be reflective of a pure tone quality (some call this darkness) of a horn. Dr. Mark, it's now time to take these observation into a lab.
    We man be on the verge to defining darkness....

Mwah... hah... hah... hah... hah... hah... hah!

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Darkness is the absence of brightness. Duh!

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Interesting perspective oh dark master!

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Wait a second! You cannot see sound... Darkness and brightness are perceptions when it comes to trumpet playing... You really can't hear darkness (or brightness)...

Unless...

You're not dropping Acid are you VB?

8. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    Kinda OT but does most everyone start out (cold lips) Sharp , and go flatter when warmed up like me?

Dean_0

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Dark is defined as the absence of Light, vis one enters a dark room in the absence of light. We need to standardize our musical tones in another way IMO. Still, I do believe there is a differentiation in the sound of the same note played on a different cornet, trumpet or flugelhorn and too a difference in the tone of the same instrument played by different persons or with different mouthpieces. Even so, while my hearing is good again, I'm not going to say it is good enough for me to discern all the nuances of sound. To do this with any degree of accuracy, players would have to be in the same space at the same temperature and barometric pressure I'm sure sound would be different at the top of the mountain from that at sea level, and I'm now closer to the latter.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Not so much the lips, but the metallic instrument, YES! Then too, there is these hot days and you just can't sharpen the instrument enough.