Testing Monette Gear

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mamboman, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Mamboman

Mamboman Pianissimo User

Dec 28, 2011
    NSW Australia
    Hey TM

I'm in Sydney, and there is no where to test Monette gear!

Do you guys maybe know of some places that I've overlooked?

2. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    I'm in the USA and I don't know of many places her where I can test them, short of the monette factory. Good luck. If you mean mouthpieces and no horns, you may have a few options...but probs not horns.

3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Melbourne Brass and Woodwind has a range of Monette mouthpieces, I have only seen 1 secondhand Monette horn in Melbourne in the last 10 years.

Regards, Stuart.

4. Mamboman

Mamboman Pianissimo User

Dec 28, 2011
    NSW Australia
    Thanks guys, really I'm looking to try mouthpieces.

I can't down to Melbourne that's all! Haha

Thanks, any more ideas?

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    You could buy some Monette mouthpieces and then sell the ones you don't want to keep.

What is your current favourite size mouthpiece, and what problem are you looking to solve which you think a Monette mouthpiece might assist with?

--bumblebee

6. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    Monette mouthpieces are fantastic, especially the Prana versions. If your embouchure pinches when you play they are abit fickle and go with a normal one. I would however work towards being able to play a Prana version though, absolutely killer. I'd call the shop and talk about what sound you're going for and they can recommend. Any Monette mouthpiece is a 3.0 of any other IMHO. As for testing trumpets I just finished a trip to Portland and the shop to play different trumpets. An amazing experience, these horns are unbelievable to play, not to mention the wide variety of sounds you can make given the many different models. I decided on ordering the Prana 3 STC. Having followed Dave Ramsey for a while now so I can order such awesomeness financially. I've "been there and done that" in Portland, please let me know if you have any other questions. This is a great link to the sound of the P3 STC, Rashawn Ross sounds great: Rashawn Ross Takes Delivery Of His New P3 STC B-flat - YouTube. Monette does bright with their classic horns, or darker played gently and sparkle up high all the way to their Ajnas and Rajnas. Man until I played one I just didn't know the huge note targets, the ergonomics while just holding one feels so much better than my Bach 37, not to mention the incredible sound the horn makes. Plus they look ridiculously cool? :cool:.

7. Mamboman

Mamboman Pianissimo User

Dec 28, 2011
    NSW Australia
    Wow, thanks alot guys. Im just looking to try mouthpieces to see the difference. Ive got a curry 3xs currently. But i dont know that if i changed id go to the same size, or something more intermediate.

Any more place suggestions. Thanks soo much :)

8. alextrumpet

alextrumpet New Friend

Feb 7, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Just switched to a Monette Prana B1-1LDS1 from a Curry 600 series 80M on a Blackjack Hitman shank. LOVE the new mp. Much better slotting 3rd day in. Breaking it in now.

9. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    I actually switched from a Monette mp to a Curry.

10. RustoleusMaximus

RustoleusMaximus Pianissimo User

Feb 1, 2008