Tests: Skull Fragments May Be Beethoven's

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by PhatmonB6, Nov 18, 2005.

1. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
  2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I thought that this statement from the article was interesting - ref pieces of Beethoven's skull:

"It puts you in the physical presence of Beethoven's body, and if Beethoven's music means a great deal to you, that is a very powerful thing and has a lot of meaning,"

Yeah, ok. :roll: To me it means that you are in the pressence of the pieces of a dead person's skull. There is no aura of the person left in those bones - they carry no more meaning than if you were in the pressence of chicken bones...in my opinion, of course. ;-)

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    The passing of human bones from generation to generation as a family heirloom? How bizarre is this? Does anyone else not see the utter morbidity and disrespect here? Grave robbers?

Give Beethoven his head back. He already lost his hearing; why take his head? Let the poor guy rest in peace and his music live on as a reminder to us all about who he was and who we are.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I guess the attitude is that since Beethoven was an historical and famous person, then somehow it's ok to keep pieces of his skull in a little box to pass down from generation to generation. It does seem a bit bizarre to me, but then again, maybe I'm just mired in the "tradition" where you either bury or burn your dead, and for me personally, I see no good purpose in embalming someone, only to put them in the ground in a box.

For me, cremation, and scatter my ashes when it's all said and done. Who knows, maybe they can act as a fertilizer and assist new life.

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    The article states:
    Reminds me of a conversation...

"Igor, would you mind telling me whose brain I did put in?"

"And you won't be angry?"

"I will NOT be angry."

"Abby someone."

"Abby someone?"

"Abby who?"