Thank You Leigh McKinney (Eclipse Trumpets)

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Anonymous, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    - Since I posted this message I have received the horn and it is FANTASTIC!

A couple of months ago I started looking for someone to restore a very old Besson cornet of mine. After some research I came across Leigh McKinney in England who makes Eclipse Trumpets. I saw some amazing pictures of work he had done restoring other vintage instruments and read a bunch of great reviews on here so after pricing some things out in the US and talking to Leigh I decided to send it over to England and this is what happened!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unbelievable! As you can tell by the pictures this cornet was in awful shape and now I doubt it looked this good even close to 100 years ago when it was first made! The cornet was shipped out a day or two ago and I expect it to arrive soon. Leigh was nice enough to send me pictures during the restoration so I could see what was going on.

Check it out!

http://photobucket.com/albums/v396/mmccourt/

If he can work this kind of magic on a beat up cornet I can only imagine what his Eclipse Trumpets must be like when he starts from scratch! I am really looking forward to trying one. If you need to have some serious work done on your horn I would highly suggest you contact Leigh. He is a pleasure to work with and I think these pictures show what the guy can do!

Mike

2. Castle Bravo

Castle Bravo Piano User

Nov 6, 2003
    Sche├člitz, Germany
    Impressed! But not suprised..... :) Leigh's the man!

3. Thevor

Thevor Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2003
    Next to the Volcano
    Mike,

Welcome to Leigh's magic club. The one thing you will soon attest to, no matter how good the pics, it's even more amazing right in front of you.

Congrats and another great job by Leigh.

4. mark935

mark935 Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2004
    Riverside,CA
    I have an old Calicchio with almost all the lacquer gone. I think it would look great done up like those Eclipse's.

5. eclipse trumpets

eclipse trumpets Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    England
    Hiya Mark

If you are interested, send me an email and we can discuss it maybe.

Regards

Leigh

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Hmmm... I wonder if Leigh EVER changes that piece of tape that he has on his left, index finger. Naaa... he was probably born with it.

7. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    That looks really really nice. How does it play?