Thanks from Calicchio!

Discussion in 'Horns' started by davo485, Mar 23, 2004.

1. davo485

davo485 New Friend

Dec 24, 2003
    Although we at Calicchio make it a point to let our horns and the fine folks who play them do our talking for us, I feel compelled to say a word or two in appreciation for the truly outstanding work that Larry has done in this forum. My thanks also go out to all of the great folks who have posted here. I don't think I've ever witnessed a more informative and civil exchange between such a diverse group of trumpet enthusiasts, from those newly acquainted with the horn to pros of the highest level of achievement.

As I've digested the mass of knowledge here, I have found myself weighing the amount of money that my family and I have spent on lessons versus the vast wealth of info available here for free. Although my experience has shown me that I don't fully appreciate many of life's lessons until they are behind me, I hope that many of the younger forum members will be able to take the wisdom shared here to heart.

My thanks again to Larry for the amazing job he has done presenting thought-provoking topics, for his time investment and for sharing his vast knowledge of the history of Calicchio. I don't think that there's anyone on the planet who knows quite as much about the history of the horns and the players who have used them as their instrument of choice. Larry's talent and experience as a freelance trumpet player has a great deal to do with the access he has to many of the industry's finest. He spends his time on this forum focusing on Calicchio, but I'm sure that he would be just as fascinating talking about his own life in music, if he wasn't so self-effacing!

My thanks to the folks who have taken the time to post such erudite replies with the willingness and openness to share their hard-earned lessons. So much of what I read has, without doubt, been the result of much dues-paying. Throughout the years, I have worked with many, many trumpet players. While some have been very defensive and protective of their craft, I have always delighted in meeting people who were part of the "fraternity". The spirit of fraternity is clearly in evidence here on the Calicchio forum! Whatever your instrument of choice is, I'm very proud that you have chosen this list for the sharing of knowledge.

Lastly, I'd like to thank all of the players who have chosen to support Calicchio as we have moved to Tulsa. Your belief in John's craftsmanship and our dedication to quality has been greatly appreciated as we have struggled through the first year of life here. Without those of you who have bought horns or put in your orders, we would have no reason to show up to work every day!

With much gratitude,

Dave Johnson
    Calicchio Musical Instruments

2. Larry Smithee

Larry Smithee New Friend

Dec 2, 2003
    Tennessee
    Yes, LG’s commitment to helping fellow trumpet players is very commendable. In addition to numerous emails to me he also took the time to personally call me last Saturday to help clarify some issues I was having with a Calicchio horn that I have. At one point he had me set the phone down and asked me to play a little for him (which I did). He was much more complementary about my playing than he probably should have been. But I have a feeling that’s the way LG is. He can usually find some good no matter what. It is an absolute pleasure to have him on this forum and in our community of trumpet nuts. I hope someday that I have an opportunity to meet him in person.
    Larry

p.s. If I'm correct, I think LG has a Calicchio on order. How about talking John D. into bumping him up the line a little sooner? :-)

3. Thevor

Thevor Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2003
    Next to the Volcano
    I'm with Dave and Larry S on this one, Larry Gianni is one of TM's finest. Thanks Larry for your contributions and help, you're a good friend.

BTW, LG I can't get the Burbank away from my son..... :)

George

4. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Smart kid! :wink:

M&C

5. Thevor

Thevor Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2003
    Next to the Volcano
    Oh, I love the irony, apparently you don't know what my son's "primary" horn is..... and yes, he is a smart kid, gets it from his mother. :lol:

Geo

6. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Well, now I do feel I have missed something ... enlighten me! I guess the greatest irony would be if he was playing an Olympus. But I must admit, I have great respect for many top horns.

M&C