Thanks mom!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by techboy10, Jan 20, 2007.

1. techboy10

techboy10 New Friend

Sep 4, 2006
    Western Massachusetts
    Well my mom picked me up Arbans Complete Conservatory Method for Trumpet - Platinum edition :D , and wow there is a lot of stuff in this book. I cant wait until I go back to school on Monday because my band director told me when I get it he will show me what I should be practicing (hes also a trumpet player, which it weird because the last 3 band directors at our school have been trumpet players, coinidence? I think not. TRUMPETS RULE!!!).

2. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    I thought you might enjoy this. My first Arbans cost me $5. Yes, I am three years older than dirt! Enjoy the book!

Roy Griffin

3. (Trumpet)(2009)

(Trumpet)(2009) New Friend

Jan 1, 2007
    Arbans is a great book, you will enjoy it! Have fun!:-)

4. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Well, you could look at it as why did these guys all lose their jobs? Seriously, Arban is always unavoidable. He was the first modern player and that book he wrote was the result of decades of teaching, his making up stuff for trumpeters to learn on this new instrument. Of course there have been advances since his time but it's like the bible or Shakespeare or something, it's timeless, always and everywhere appropriate. The first one I bought was $8, tells you how long ago it was.

Michael McLaughlin

I guess I don't so much mind being old, as I mind being fat and old.
    Benjamin Franklin

5. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    You will play out of that for many, many years. It will become part of your character, as well as an indespnsible practice tool. (Mine is in many, many...well...parts...it has lots of character!)

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Well, mine cost 6 bucks, so, so far RG is the king of the hill.

ML

7. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Your mom knows what she is doing!

Juast as an FYI; the current Arban's I use is almost 10 years old. The thing I did differently this time is take it to Kinkos, had them cut the binding off, then 3 hole punch it and put it into a 3 ring binder. If a page does rip out, I use those sticky hole reinforcers. This way, the book stays open better.
    I had my previous Arban's spiral bound with wire, but when the sheets eventually would wear through, there was no way to secure them back in.

Mike

8. (Trumpet)(2009)

(Trumpet)(2009) New Friend

Jan 1, 2007
    Mine was free. I guess that makes me winner, eh? :D

9. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    My parents bought me mine as well! (thanks Mom and Dad!)

10. techboy10

techboy10 New Friend

Sep 4, 2006
    Western Massachusetts
    Well I've actually only had the lastest 2 directors, but the first moved away (the year before I entered the school), the second got uhhhh "involved" with a student (he was only like 24, she was 18) and got fired when the school found out the week before graduation that year (btw, playing at graduation with a director SUCKS!!), and the 3rd (and coolest by far) is the current director.