That airy trumpet tone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hubnub, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    You could try a really deep cornet mouthpiece (like a Wick 2) and used it with a trumpet adapter. The intonation might be a little squirrley, but for a change of pace on a tune or two, it might work. I don't think it would be the best thing for all-around trumpet development. I don't know the what level your student plays at, but if he's pretty young, staying on whatever mpc he already uses might be best. The ear and a really light approach may be best in that case.

Jason.

2. eskimojoe

eskimojoe Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2008
    the easiest way is to just relax. practice your clarke #1 and #2 as soft as you can. get your lips all nice and relaxed. don't tense up like you're trying to pull of a tastee bros

3. c.nelson

c.nelson Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2007
    Alberton, Montana USA
    This is the best answer for most of the embochure problems discussed on this forum!

Thanks,Jonalana.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This MAY be the theoretically correct answer but is of absolutely no use to someone that has not been there and is looking for direction.

I visited France 30 years ago and asked directions (in a small town) to some landmark. Just about everyone said "tout droit" (straight ahead) regardless of where I was in the town. Since this time, I have tried to take the questioners situation into account when answering even the simplest questions.

Many times what we think that we hear has nothing to do with what comes out of the front of the horn. Creativity does not equal fantasy or self deceipt! There is a creative aspect of playing - that is based on solid (learnable) physical skills.

For the thinkers among us, what do you PHYSICALLY do to get a smoky tone? This is not a case of mind over matter, it is a case of knowing your body. Smoke does not make a lick more musical, but it may be a skill worth developing to allow further expression of what is in our head!

5. commakozzi

commakozzi Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    I understand some people's reservations about relaxation of the embouchure in order to produce ANY unconventional sound on the horn, and I like the idea about the washer in the mouthpiece, but there's a problem with this. What if you don't want that tone throughout the entire piece? There are plenty of pros out there that can play with a great solid sound throughout their solos, but then create that "smoky" (great adjective rowuk) sound at will at any point during that solo. They are doing something with their embouchure not the equipment. The way I do it is to relax the embouchure to the point that it almost feels like air can leak around the mouthpiece! As long as you don't play too much like that and put too much strain on the lips during those passages then you're fine.

6. hubnub

hubnub Piano User

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Wow! Great thread!

Jonalana, I understand your point of "what's in your head" <sound wise> But Rowuk makes a great point. My student's interest is in the physical approach to how it's done. He listens like it's his job and in due time WILL get the sound he hears in his head.

Commakozzi: Thanks for clarifying the whole embouchure thing. His <my student> first response was "how does he get that tone, but only on the lower end of his horn....it seems to "go away" as he gets into the middle and upper register.

Thanks for all of your help. Keep them coming.... i'm off to buy some washers and try this for myself ....:lol:

7. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Good luck hubnub! Let us know how it goes with the washers. Maybe you could get that sound by just hearing it in your head a lot...but I wonder if it would also promote bad embouchure habits in the process. Especially if you like to use the airy sound a lot. I just remembered Dave Monette has a trumpet piece he calls the 'Chet Baker'....Check the search function on trumpetherald.com!

8. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

I'm developing quite a fondness for Chet Baker, is his tone considered "smoky" or "airy"? Because I'm surprised when I listen analytically, his tone is actually very clear - he's just playing quietly.

9. hubnub

hubnub Piano User

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    ljazztrm,

Check out you postes on TH and I didn't find the Monette mpc called the chet baker. I'll dig deeper.

I saw in one of you posts you noted that some monette mpcs had more of an airy tone than others. I played a B2 for a while and noticed I could get a smokey tone by really, really relaxing..... but the B2 was a toilet bowl to me;-) . I have a B4 Slap cup and I can get a decent airy tone on it. tried it on a B4S.... and no luck.

Add me to your myspace.....

10. hubnub

hubnub Piano User

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Rowuk,

Have any I can borrow......;-)