That airy trumpet tone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hubnub, Feb 5, 2008.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    When playing very closely to the microphone, many additional noises will be picked up. The "airy" sound will not project over distances.

2. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Um, my understanding is that Chet Baker often pawned his horn for .... substances..... so could he have been using custom MP's and such, or was he pretty much using whatever the local pawn shop would sell him cheap?

3. biohazard

biohazard New Friend

May 20, 2007
    Usually when my chops get weak the air starts to creep in on it's own.

4. c.nelson

c.nelson Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2007
    Alberton, Montana USA
    Just let some air leak out.
    Use the " no pressure" method.

Chet Bakers "airy sound" may have been less intended than you think.

His "relaxed embouchure"was partially due to certain chemical enhancments.(Heroin)

Sometimes he let more than air leak out.(slobbered all over the floor)

5. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Do you guys own the video? Unfortunately, it hasn't been released on DVD yet...but was made in 87/88....Chet died in '88. The VHS tape should be a 'must have' in any jazz trumpet players library. This is a fairly good price:
    Chet Baker let's get lost VHS Video lets get lost - eBay (item 180212679072 end time Mar-03-08 15:19:32 PST)
    Maybe you could find it cheaper if you do some searching.
    I've talked with friends of Chet's. He got all that air in his sound after he got his teeth knocked out by drug dealers (Chet tells a little different story on the video). He had to relearn the trumpet with dentures and had to work in a gas station for a couple of years while he got his chops back. For all you trumpet students out there, this is a good lesson in not using heroin to get into a creative state! I think Mr.Nelson is right, I've heard there were times when Chet's 'teeth' fell out while he was playing. Another 'must have' DVD is this one: Amazon.com: Chet Baker - Live in '64 and '79 (Jazz Icons): Movies & TV: Chet Baker
    You can compare Chet's playing from '64 - pre-air to '79 'post-air'...There's also a nice interview with him from '79. Both performances are quite excellent.

Rowuk, I know what you are saying about the airiness only working at softer volumes....with the washer, yoiu can increase the volume, somewhat, and still have the air...and you don't need to bury your bell in the mic either. I always like to hear the air in my sound when I am gigging and practicing, therefore it only makes sense to me to use mechanical means in the mouthpiece to do this, rather than to mess with my chops. Having air in my sound effects the way I improvise in a positive way. I feel it has to do with the breath that all of us living land animals share....I think we can sense an intimacy and connection with players who have that 'breathiness' in their tone...in translates into the universal human experience and that's why I think it's so attractive.

Hubnub, I mean..Mark! I didn't even notice you had a myspace page! I was just checking it out...Nice 'Blues for Wood' bro! Listen, I never have been out to Monette's so I didn't write about that piece on the TH. Use search terms like 'monette' and 'chet' and you should find the cat writing about that piece. I usually only use flugel and pocket cornet for all my creative music, or I might have to have Dr.Dave make me an airy Wedge trumpet piece! Actually, the 10.5BC/9* combo I'm using gets a beautiful, dark sound for both jazz and classical...no air, but for soloing on the cocktail hours before club dates, it's great!

Eeviac, I am pretty sure that the stories about Chet pawning his horn are true. I have talked to enough cats who knew him, besides reading the stories. Apparently his preference of trumpet mouthpiece was a Bach 6C and horn was a Conn Constellation. I can certainly imagine him making a junker pawn shop horn with an old 7C sound great though. The air wasn't from a special mouthpiece...It was from having to play with dentures.....Sometimes he got more air than other times. Check out Live in Montreux '77 with Niels on bass..Vol.1 and 2 for some really fantastic and very airy Chet. Just beautiful stuff! All the best, Lex.

6. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Mark, I can't add you to my myspace friends because I don't have your email. It's the same exact problem I have with myspace...they say to enter the person's last name (i.e. - Russo) but then it doesn't work! If I had more motivation in computer stuff, I'd probably try to figure it out!LOL...Anyway, my email is [email protected] try to 'friend me' with that on myspace!

7. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

I like chet's sound, that I've heard on youtube anyway. I think he sounds great, and if you listen closely, he's very clear and very .... articulate from note to note.

Funny about drooling .... due to a sort of snaggle tooth I have, if I play the clarinet I um, drool a little.

8. c.nelson

c.nelson Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2007
    Alberton, Montana USA
    Yea, Chet sounds great to me too.....

He had some kinda magic.....

9. commakozzi

commakozzi Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    Yep, good example for the most part. I'm listening to "Goodbye" right now on the Wynton Marsalis Standard Time Vol.1 album. He's certainly not using washers as someone mentioned before, and he's getting that tone when he wants it... not throughout the entire solo.

10. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yes, I know but that heavy Monette he used to use could get airy pretty easily. He once put out a classical album with that horn and got flack because of airiness. Besides, you are talking about Wynton Marsalis. When we talk about players like Wynton, Doc, Maynard, Vizzutti, Freddie, Woody...I mean, we are talking about extraordinary cats. All I'm saying is why exert the extra effort, if we can do something by mechanical means? All the best, Lex.
    p.s. - Monette is also the one who makes the mouthpiece he calls the 'Chet Baker' because of it's airy sound.