That airy trumpet tone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hubnub, Feb 5, 2008.

1. commakozzi

commakozzi Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    Hmm... interesting about the mouthpiece. Otherwise, I concede your point.

2. fragrebel

fragrebel New Friend

Jan 1, 2010
    I came here looking for a way of getting RID of my airy tone, lol and instead stumbled upon someone going in the opposite direction. It's not helpful when auditioning to play using airy tone. I gotta get solid tone in the lower register where my airy tone is really blatant. Any tips guys?

For the guy who wants the airy tone, do lotsa slurs without rest. or alternatively push the air up when you play to get that sound out

3. Vega Power

Vega Power Piano User

Dec 9, 2011
    Florida
    A solid, strong, almost blistering tone has always been my hallmark. This was even the case with my Martin Committee cornet. Even with a Wick 3. I purchased a Martin 10 (small, shallow) for the horn, just for grins. With this mouthpiece I get the airy sound your looking for and I don't know why. I've never had this sound! It reminds me of Stan Getz. It's kinda cool and jazzy. I'm starting to like it, at least on the Committee. I've tried to play this mouthpiece with a clear, strong tone... I can't. Wrapping tape around the shank (thinking it was a fit issue), didn't change the tone one iota. Just to let you know, the mouthpiece I usually use with the Martin is a Bach Mt. Vernon (Olds shank) 10C or 10.5C.

-Blair

4. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Dang, spent 50 years trying to get rid of an airy sound.

bumblebee likes this.
  5. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Zombie thread, guys. Over four years since the last posting, before you resurrected it.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Zombie true, but this is my first time reading it. I still find it relevant. Perhaps additional comments may be able to airy out a few more insightful comments.

7. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Same here, and as usual I didn't notice the date until I saw the word "zombie". It took me a long time before I could play "airy" or "smokey" and actually like the sound quality, and maintain good control. I'm not sure I could do it on demand, though before posting this I had go at Smoke Gets In Your Eyes and had to drag myself away to post this... must get back to it now...

--bumblebee

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Nothing wrong with a zombie as long as it's a good zombie. Rowuk's 1st response is great!

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    +1 for Rowuk's suggestion to "Watch a Paris Hilton video before playing" .... to get your airhead tone.

Turtle

10. 7cjbill2

7cjbill2 Pianissimo User

Mar 18, 2012
    Athens, GA
    Shoot...I'm still trying to get rid of that "airy" tone permanently.