The 1 Hour Practice Routine

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The BuZZ, Jul 19, 2007.

1. The BuZZ

The BuZZ Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2007
    Chester, NY
    I am interested in the expert opinion of the Trumpet Cyberworld @ large on what you would recommend on a practice routine that would be beneficial in a 1 hour scenario.
    I have been an Instrumental Music/Band Director for over 24 years with a myriad of responsibilities ( that anyone who is a fellow director can attest to), and there are too many days that I will be home late ( not a complaint ;-) ) due to after school responsibilities that leave me drained and musically depleted. I have always been and will always be of the opinion that for me to be an effective teacher, I must be an active participant in the art form ( practice what I preach). I try to practice @ least 1 hour per day to maintain (at the very least), but as I fast approach the BIG 5-0, this get's a little bit more difficult. :dontknow: I have found over the years that when I am able to practice @ least 2 hours per day ( as I am presently doing on Summer holiday) I have great balance in my playing. Now, mind you, nobody from the NY Philharmonic, and/or the LCJO has to worry about me stealing their gig, but I still aspire to be the best Trumpeter practicing in my living room! :cool:

What I seek from the forum at large is what do you practice to maintain ( or possibly improve upon) your chops, etc, etc?

Books/Methods that I continue to gravitate towards are; Arbans, Clarke Technical Studies, Colin: Lip Flexibilities, and Concone. I have recently starting using Stamp, Irons, Bai Lin and Flexus.
    I look forward to your responses and I thank you in advance for your consideration!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  2. teacherchops

teacherchops New Friend

Jul 15, 2007
    Charlottetown, P.E.I.
    I have been trying to balance the busy life of a high school band director, university trumpet teacher, and dad, so I know what you are going through.

You could try the following book by a renowned Canadian trumpet teacher: Don E. Johnson, "A Comprehensive Practice Routine for the Aspiring Brass Player". (a lengthy title for sure).

Don was the trumpet teacher at Humber College and turned out many of Toronto's finest players. I studied with him for two years and his approach is very logical and the practice routines in the book are well explained and practical. He lay's out a 45 minute routine that can be expanded depending on time, and explains how to divide your practicing so you cover all "pieces of the pie". I use this book during my busy teaching schedule at the high school and university. It keeps me in shape and allows for considerable progress in a short amount of time.

Another great book is Chase Sanborn's "Brass Tactics". Both these books are available from Chase's website: chasesanborn.com

Both books are a great read as well.

Hope this helps,
    Mark

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    To improve, we need to tire ourselves without exhausting ourselves, so at the end or our routine we should feel like we’ve done something. Richard Shuebruck’s Trumpeter’s Daily Stunt (and his lip and tongue trainers) is an excellent way to start. Add to that Walter M. Smith’s Top Tones for the Trumpeter and you’ll add some excellent range studies. Max Schlossberg’s Daily Drills and Technical Studies for Trumpet is another must have for development.

The Harold Mitchell Trumpet Method, starting with book three, is like a big ‘ol multi-vitamin, presenting new challenges each lesson, and can be frustrating and fun at the same time.

Have fun!

4. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    I will forgo advice on material. You have and will get great advice on that...plus, you probably have tons you already own and work on.

What I will suggest is that you can probably get more "total" practice time than you realize. If you have an hour you normally can block out (not necessarily at the same time, but you say you can work out getting that hour in..), then ask yourself this:

Do you think you can find 5 or 10 minutes when you get up in the morning? 5 or 10 minutes (or more) at lunch? During a break in class scheduling? After work? During commercials on your favorite TV show? See where I'm getting at? Many already advocate light work over long periods of time. What better than spacing little sessions throughout the day...followed by perhaps an extended (still with proper rests) hour long session later in the day? It may end up where you get total "actual" practice time up to an hour and a half.. two hours...+++?

We all are extremely busy these days. You may not be able to fit these little sessions in every day...but the more you try and work these in, the more you'll discipline yourself. They don't take that much time, won't intrude that much on your schedule and you'll reap the benefits.

Hey...whatever you are able to do...I wish you the best.

5. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I also find that I can get a great deal of long tone practice in with my students at school. Every band class I have starts with long tones,flexiblities, and scale work. I play with each class, so I get quite a bit of fundamental practice in before I get home. With some classes I play the scale ex. up an octave for a little range work. It is also good in that the kids see that I am a player as well as a teacher.

6. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Totally agree with Teacherchops about Don's "A Comprehensive Practice Routine for the Aspiring Brass Player".

He uses the following in the book:
    Arbans's Complete Conservatory Method and
    H.L. Clarke's Technical Studies

Excellent book and routine!

7. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Hi ya Buzz!

Arban's and Clarke for me. Mostly Arban's: Tonguing, air, fingers, and toes.

Eric Bolvin's The Arban's Manual is a great tutorial if one be looking for structure without a teacher.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    When I only have an hour, 20 minutes are long tones and slurs (Adams, Schlossberg) / !!!no tongue!!!. I do the same thing with all of my students. Not really a warm up, but a daily routine.
    What comes after that is based on what gig is next. If I need a quick crisp double tongue, then I do that. If I need range, then that. Once the necessities are covered then comes repertory.

9. The BuZZ

The BuZZ Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2007
    Chester, NY
    As I had figured, a lot of positive and beneficial reponses!:D Thank you for the input. I never was very successful in practicing on my "free time" @ work, there is always something that "pops" up at the last minute to divert one's attention, but if I can make a concerted effort to put in some time during the day, and get in that groove, it will be accomplished. I always play with my students as was stated by "mike ansberry", so that helps for sure in covering the basics. Will check into some of those pedagogy suggestions.........It is like anything else, just maintain self discipline and focus, and ya' can make it happen! Now, back to the Horn!
    Peace
    :cool: