The 12B:(. Back from tech, really bad news...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sherri, Sep 18, 2010.

1. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Every Conn I've had had a leadpipe that looked like a country road, no worries. As to the lacquer, again no big deal.

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I agree - your horn is still a good one. You can leave it, have it cleaned, clean it yourself (it isn't rocket science) or find a local trumpet enthusiast like you've been chatting with here and get them to do it.

Leave the lacquer and leadpipe alone for now, get it in good mechanical shape and play your heart out. No time like the present to dive in!

I don't know where you live, but if it was in my neighborhood, I'd get it working for you for $1.00.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Mgr said that is what happens when they chem clean horns. Maybe its what they use? They didn't offer ultrasonic cleaning. I would have done that instead. Told me it would take a little while to lap them back to normal. Needless to say I was ticked.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That would be $10, right? I'll ask my wife. Your tech is probably a NAPBIRT guy. Well nothing against them, but, so is the guy that chem cleaned my horn. If you can read blueprints, you're miles ahead of me. Just don't take apart the valves. Just pull them out gently and put in a safe place. I've been tearing down horns since I was 10. It's a hunk of metal and nothing to be afraid of to DIY. Just be careful and gentle taking it apart and putting it back together. Your BIGGEST challenge is putting the valves and caps back on without stripping the threads. In other words, if you know how to put a nut on a bolt, you can do it. If you do get stuck, you got us and we are cheaper and maybe know more than your tech.:thumbsup:

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    That is totally BS. The pistons shouldn't go into the bath, and if they thoroughly flush the horn afterwards the valves should be just fine.

Most of the time a chem clean is overkill. A good bath and snaking will clean even a pretty grungy horn.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I'll do it for free! Live close to central Virginia, I'm your guy.:play:

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I agree. That's why I do my own cleaning now.

8. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Sherri, If you were close to me, I'd do it for $1.00 just to have the priviledge of handling that beautiful veteran!Giving them a cleaning really isn't that hard. just keep the valves in order when you remove them, or if you think you have to, put a little numbered slip of paper under each one. the slides are pretty much a no brainer as to where they go. Just remember not to get the corks and felts on the valves wet and you'll be just fine............Buck:oops:

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    My Conns (12a, 2 80a's)valves have the piston number and serial on them. wouldn't that 12b also?

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    One of my 80a's looks like it was used in a sword fight and plays as well as the NOS.