The 12B:(. Back from tech, really bad news...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sherri, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Toby, Looks like you outbid me! Darn, my Ebay luck has followed me here:dontknow:ROFL:roll::oops:

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Yay! I finally bid on something and win! :D

3. Sherri

Sherri New Friend

Sep 16, 2010
    WOW everyone...hmm, this repair guy was so negative about the relacquer and curve that he seriously had me feeling as if those 2 things alone virtually discounted it as a viable instrument :huh:.

Which is the only reason I felt so deflated when I left the store. Actually, he was pretty friendly when he told me he could clean it up.

I said I would give it some thought and talk it over with my husband.

He got a little brusk and said that it HAD to be cleaned and oiled but I should do what I felt was right. He was busy and took the time to check the valves and turn the tuning slide etc. so maybe I inadvertantly insulted him. Not my intention so I won't sweat it :roll:.

I sure with I could take a trip up north, let's see; New York, Virginia, Ohio...now what a great road trip!

I think I had best get to checking out my area a little! I had planned it anyway...after all, I live near Austin TX and they have a *few* musicians around there:-P.

Again I can't thank you all enough for my much improved mood! I am back to feeling fortunate about our horn!

As for cleaning, I am going to spend a few days taking a few deep breaths and get a diagram of the Trumpet (I like pictures LOLOL) and go from there.

Before I found *all of you* I took the Trumpet out and played with it, ie; found a site, learned how to form my lips etc. and went to town with it for a while off and on all day...the valves were smooth as silk after being packed away for 40 years (Now I know about oil) and then I packed it away, found this forum and when I took it back out 2 days later the middle valve was sticking. Well, coming back up slowly.

Please pardon my ignorance (it is why I am HERE:-?, to learn!) but did I do some valve damage by not oiling it after so long? The tech shrugged his shoulders and said no biggie, but I want to ask YOU about it!:play:

Thanks all around, I truly have been blessed by finding all of you!
    I know I'll be back with more questions, but for now I want to just sit back and enjoy reading some other posts.

Sherri

4. Sherri

Sherri New Friend

Sep 16, 2010
    Tobylou,

Hopefully someone will know the answer, but I will check when I can about the #'s. That would be nice :>D.
    Sherri

5. Sherri

Sherri New Friend

Sep 16, 2010
    Awww, Moshe...:cool: I cherish my dear children...they *are* priceless:-), but at the beginning of this journey my husbands' thoughts were leaning toward selling. The tech never came out and said it was worthless, just de-valued b/c of the relacquer and bend and gave the strong impression that I should leave it there for him to clean etc.

Remember, I am not only a newbie to the forum but a complete 'I don't know anything about Trumpets' gal. Thanks to all of you I am learning and in the beginning I only knew what the techs' implied and told me.

I honestly can't imagine what might have happened had I not found this forum. I might have sold it to some kid at the music store for $50.00 or less:shock:.

My real interest in it began with all of you here, it was a strange feeling. The first day it was a horn that maybe our son would want to play. (Not his thing right now). Then I began to become attached to it (much to the chagrin of my husband:roll:) but I knew selling it might still have to be an option....so the techs' attitude was a little disheartening. Now I still want to learn it myself but the monetary value was/is important.

Now I know that bumps and bruises are not the kiss of death. I did not know that before :).

I posted on another thread that I almost just want to keep it in order to maintain the conversations on the forum! lol.

Thanks again for all your help thus far and I am anxious to get to know this horn a little better. I'm off to do some reading of OTHER peoples' posts and get off my own self for awhile!

Sherri

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I would cut the tech some slack this time of year. School just started and it's marching band season. Oil the valves every time you play. 6 drops per valve.I've heard there are musically inclined folks down that way;-).

7. Sherri

Sherri New Friend

Sep 16, 2010
    Yep, I believe in benefit of the doubt and I am certain the poor man is feeling the time crunch of all the kids wanting it done now. Duly noted and done:D

What type of oil should I buy? Would love recommendations from here.

And when it comes time for me to do my own cleaning, what type/brand etc. of detergent will be best? Do you buy your pipe cleaning brushes at a music store specific for horns?

Thanks for the help!
    Sherri

8. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    There is a lot of debate about oil - some claim there is a big difference between brands while others claim there is no difference. But, Ultrapure is a sponsor of this forum and there seems to be pretty universal agreement that it is good so why not start there.

As far as the sticking valve goes, that is common for a trumpet left sitting for decades (it happened to mine). But, it is not serious. The old oil probably left some some deposits - referred to as varnish - in the valves. It may take some time or work to clean it out. Meanwhile, keep the valves oiled but not over-oiled. It takes some practice to figure out how much. With Ultrapure, you should only need to oil when you detect some sticking.

Any good mild dish soap such as Ivory or Dawn will work. A good cleaning snake brush. valve brush and mouthpiece brush (the little one for cleaning the inside of the mouthpiece shank) can be purchased at the store where you took the horn. Using a snake is preferable to soaking the trumpet for an extended period. Just check the brush for any exposed metal parts and be careful not to jam it into the insides of the valve casings.

I agree with the others that the re-lacquer and curved leadpipe do not affect the value of the trumpet unless the lacquer looks like a bad paint job (runs, chips, uneven areas, overspray on the insides of the valve slides, etc.). They certainly do not affect how it plays. And, the lacquer - even if it is not a perfect job - will protect it from tarnishing which happens if the lacquer is removed.

By the way, my grandson (7th grade) lives in Austin and is a trumpet player and I taught him how to clean the trumpet. If you go visit him, he will give you some lessons and show you how to clean it. He is very skilled at doing it properly. He'll do it for free, too.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    What a great wife!
    Just about everything has been said. I believe that a chem clean after this many years is a good idea - just don't use the tech that doesn't seem to know better. Badmouthing stuff is often compensation for not being really informed.

The chem or ultrasonic clean by a reputable shop will not harm anything. It would be really cool for you to find a shop that you can trust. They are very useful in the life of an active musician.

Any of you guys have a good shop in the Austin area?

10. SteveRADavey

SteveRADavey Pianissimo User

May 25, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I live in the greater Austin area as well. There's at least one good brass tech at Straight Music near Lamar and Ben White. Can't remember the fella's name off the top of my head - older gentleman - trombone player. He'll steer you right.

- Steve-o