The $58 Trumpet Snake

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by rockwell, Dec 3, 2012.

1. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011
    Got a new cleaning snake on the internet, the kind with bristles on one end. Cost about seven bucks. The bristle diameter was larger than most snakes, but not as large as a valve bore cleaning brush. Shoved it up the third valve slide and went to pull it back out - wouldn't budge. Tried twisting, a little turning, then pulled harder and the cable simply broke off the brush, leaving the brush lodged in the crook of the slide. Got a refund. Couldn't get it out so had to take it to a repair shop. Repair shop charged $49.00 to get it out. Bought a new snake for $9.00. Total cost of trumpet snake: $58.00.

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Bummer, dude! Could it have been a trombone snake?

Tom

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Always measure the length of the slide you are sticking it in, and hold the snake at that length. Never send a snake around the small crooks of the slides unless you know you can push the snake all the way out the other side.

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    But is your trumpet clean now?

--bumblebee

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I had one of those "Reka" snakes with sponges on the end instead of bristles (upon advice from a sales assistant) which cost $20 I think but after about the 3rd use bits of sponge were breaking away inside the trumpet (mainly near the valve ports but also the leadpipe) which wasn't very good. I next got a Yamaha branded snake with both bristles and some furry stuff on the end for about $25 which has been far better.

--bumblebee

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I use HW Brass Saver. No metal or sharp edges that you find in other snakes. But no matter which snake you use, there's no good way to get to all those curves in and around the valve block.

Mike

7. LH123

LH123 Piano User

May 14, 2010
    +1. I can get mine through every part of the valve block... send the snake in through the a slide tube and use the valve casing brush (that comes with the HW snake) to direct it either up or down through the ports in the valve block.

8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    BTW, $49 to remove anything from a slide is a rip-off. It probably took the tech 2 minutes to get it out...if they knew what they were doing.

The places I've worked with when I couldn't do something myself would just do that for free.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I agree, you got "snaked" by the tech!! Plus 3 for the H&W snake/swab. I now own 3 and doubt I will ever need another type of snake (until I wear these out). Maybe businesses are raising there prices in anticipation of Ob***care. I took a horn in for some minor dent repair. I expected it to be $25-40 tops. NOooo! $60!!! It's still dented!

10. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011
    Man, I hope so!