The age old question...is ska dead?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Keegan Katastrofee, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Keegan Katastrofee

Keegan Katastrofee New Friend

Dec 26, 2007
    Illinois
    I've come across this question numerous times throughout my search for a band and it has made me wonder. Is ska dead?

MY PERSONAL THOUGHTS:

I believe that no music is ever dead. The United States ska scene is at an all-time low, but it still has bands such as Less Than Jake, Reel Big Fish and Streetlight Manifesto.

Therefore, ska is still huge. For example, Reel Big Fish has been around since I was VERY young. And they're not only still selling out shows, they are playing warped tour this year alongside some of the hugest "emo" and metal bands.

Also, the european and asian ska scenes, especially in tokyo and spain/mexico are HUGE. Just look at bands such as Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra and Ore Ska Band

they're shows are completely sold out and Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra has been playing since the mid 80's.

YOUR THOUGHTS:

post them up, let's discuss

NOTE:

Also, i couldn't find a better thread to put this in, i believe it goes here, moderators, if there's somewhere it fits better, put it there.

2. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    Ska is not dead up here anyway. :) Just not the top music genre of the time.

3. burgerbob

burgerbob New Friend

Nov 26, 2007
    Douglas, WY
    Ska now seems to be a completely different genre than the one I grew up to know, with British and Jamaican bands. I love the old stuff, but not so much the Big Reel Fish and whatnot, which seems like pseudo pop with a horn section or something.

4. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    burger bob: ska revival! That's exactly what my band plays right now...

5. Keegan Katastrofee

Dec 26, 2007
    Illinois
    It seems like almost everyone agrees with me.
    haha.

I like all ska, personally. Old stuff is great, new stuff is great. I just love music that's fun to listen to and makes you wanna dance.

dear bob: AMEN TO THAT! Ska revival is what we're all about

I'm really happy that RBF is playing warped tour

maybe that'll help bring back ska for us.
    =D

6. brunets

brunets Pianissimo User

May 28, 2007
    Gatineau,QC
    I agree with Brem. Ska is not dead. For sure, it is more "underground" than Céline Dion :D. Montreal has a reasonably active ska scene with lot of live bands. And a few bands come from this city too (e.g. "General Rudie", "One night band")

Stéphane

7. Keegan Katastrofee

Dec 26, 2007
    Illinois
    hahaha

celine dion
    i haven't heard that name in quite awhile
    but maybe that's just me
    lol

8. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    It's because you don't go to Vegas or Canada often enough ;)

9. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I'd agree that ska isn't dead
    in the town where i go to school, its about the only music that any of the local bands play.
    Its also definitely not the ska from years ago and much more "pop" but hey, things change (some people call it ska-punk or whatever)
    And how can a style of music die anyway?

10. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    disco sorta died :)