The age old question...is ska dead?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Keegan Katastrofee, Dec 26, 2007.

1. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

uhh...
    I'm going to have to disagree with you there

2. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    Ska is far from dead. Especially if you enjoy Streetlight Manifesto.

However, I will say that much of modern ska is crap...

It is far from dead though. Even if its not hte most played. I was at a party where they played all ska music. And during band camp w ehave a dj two nights. The band always tries to get rid of the kickline so we can listen to ska, but the friggin kickline always seduces the DJ and we get a total of 2 ska songs.

WHile he calls ska less origional than Rap.

He said this is the least origional song ever. THen put on Everything Went Numb. I think I almost killed him..

3. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    reason why i say it's dead is because of the way it's being served.

Ska music was more of a gritty up lifting cultural thing.
    now it has become white washed and watered down, much like the R&B and soul music has been asimulated by mainstream public.

Just like pat boone doing little richard.
    very shallow and no real feeling.

peace and hairgrease!

4. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007

Why can't I find a ten foot pole when I need one ?

It's just too easy. :lol:

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The question is not if ska is dead, it is a question if there is really a reason for it to survive.
    The reason that Bach is still around today is that his compositions offer something worthwhile. I have not looked into ska to see if there is anything "eternal" about it. I will leave that up to the interested.

6. trumpet520

trumpet520 Pianissimo User

Oct 25, 2006
    Oklahoma
    yeah here in oklahoma the only thing you hear is hardcore rap and hardcore country. But reel big fish and less than jake came to Tulsa last year and it was sold out. (But everyone there was 10 years older than me, Im 17). Also i saw them at warped tour in kansas and they easily had one of the biggest crowds of the day. i just dont think people in my age group are listening to ska these days.

7. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Ska is definitely dead! It died with "Madness" when driving in a car in the 80s.ROFL

8. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    oklahoma,
    now there's a real modern music mecca.

everything there is 15 years behind.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Music History lesson here: Think of styles as being land. Seeking more elbow room, a pioneering composer will set off for some greener pastures. More people will move in, eventually the new style will get too "crowded," and another pioneering composer will set out for some greener pastures.

Bach came in at the end of the Baroque, grew up in the style, knew all the alleyways and backways and totally mastered the style. Those we consider to be great composers tended to be at or near the end of their style, where they took it to the limits. Not just Mozart, but Prince and Zappa too. (If Prince is Mozart, Zappa was Bach.)

On rare occasions, a composer will come along like Beethoven who single-handedly brought music from the Classical into the Romantic period. I believe the Beatles fall into this catagory.

Is ska dead? I'm not convinced that it has ever come to life!