The aging trumpet/brass musician.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Pedagogy' started by trumpetnick, Nov 12, 2017 at 8:40 AM.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I just turned 65 and am playing as well or better than I ever have. I don't know if that's saying much, though...ha ha

Similar to what rowuk posted, I'm more picky about what I commit to playing these days, and don't waste my time and energy playing music I don't care for.

tobylou8 and Brassman64 like this.
  2. Bflatman

Bflatman Forte User

Nov 27, 2008
    Manchester, England
    When young we respect the older more influential members of society, as we age we become those influential members but as we age further we can become overlooked and saddened.

As musicians we will never be overlooked as we age we bring happiness to all. We are the wandering minstrels of old and everyone we meet feels the better for the meeting.

We are the luckiest people to have friends everywhere and we make friends even before we meet them. I know I am lucky to hold in my hands the key to untold happiness that grows day on day and to be able to spread this happiness wherever I go.

I will never age and what I bring to peoples lives will never tarnish.

Dennis78 likes this.
  3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    actually it was pure luck - being in the right place at the right time prepared for what came. I came to Germany in the HQ EUCOM Band in Stuttgart, met and took lessons from the american solo trumpet player Dale Marrs in the Stuttgart Philharmonic, then met Heinz Zickler who is my mentor even today at 97. Master classes got me into natural trumpet, cornetto and other stuff. There are a lot of americans making music here and we help each other out.

So, like I have often posted, opportunity is a big part to get in, then your work ethic and talent determine if you can stay. I have always had or made time to do what is necessary. It was a real challenge sometimes.

Funny enough, a lot of the Brandenburg Concertos are not played by the artist originally booked. I have jumped in at the last minute for many. That is probably one of the reasons that my diaphragm got torn.

LaTrompeta likes this.
  4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I have become more supple with age (in the over 60 crowd). This has made me a better player with a lot more control. My muscles have matured well in my advancing years.

tobylou8 and Brassman64 like this.
  5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Experience counts for much, not just in playing tunes that have become "hard-wired" over the years. Some wonky things can happen in performances. In these cases, well, experience counts for much.

Brassman64 and tobylou8 like this.
  6. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Mezzo Piano User

Apr 13, 2016
    New Glasgow, N.S. Canada
    Like adc I am playing now after a 50 year hiatus. I've been back at it for 21 months and no, I am not the strong player I was in the 50s and 60s. At 81 I have some age-related health issues that make playing tougher these days, but I'd say endurance is my biggest issue. But that's okay because I don't have anything to prove. I manage to maintain a decent range for the kind of stuff I am doing in first chair with a local community band of mostly seniors ( though I am the oldest ) and it is great fun, and that is all that matters for me.

Brassman64, Dennis78 and Dale Proctor like this.
  7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I am a much better player than I ever dreamed possible in high school. Besides practicing better, much of it has to be credited to the many folks that encouraged me to expand my thinking about what I could do. 3 sax players have been as instrumental in helping me as anyone else. Many TM members have also contributed immensely. I see no downturn in the future and I may just be that bottle wine that gets better with age!! :cool::cool:

8. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Mezzo Piano User

Apr 13, 2016
    New Glasgow, N.S. Canada
    Of course you are, Dale. Hell, at 65 you are still a kid...:laughwave:

Brassman64, tobylou8 and Dale Proctor like this.
  9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Yep, still riding motorcycles, working out at the gym, hiking, doing most anything I want to. Good genes and clean living, I suppose... ;)

6a84b699-057a-4282-a482-3448337e0dc4.jpg

Brassman64 and tobylou8 like this.
  10. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Mezzo Piano User

Apr 13, 2016
    New Glasgow, N.S. Canada
    Good for you, Dale. I was jogging twice a day well into my sixties but the knees finally gave out and now I only walk twice a day. It is important to keep as active as possible as we age. My worst problem is arthritis, but I can say this, my lungs are working great for someone my age.
    Hey, man, you really look at home on that motorcycle.

tobylou8 and Dale Proctor like this.