The agony of deciding on a horn...

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Spawn, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Spawn

Spawn Pianissimo User

Dec 21, 2003
    I ordered this horn, a Bach 180S37 Silver Plated Stradivarius Bb Trumpet.

However, I've been doing a lot of research and reading this forum and am not so sure I made the right decision.

I know, ask 10 people their opinion and get 10 different answers.

I played Bachs, Xenos, Conns, and Getzens in the store when I decided to order the Bach I mentioned above. Of course, when it arrives, in 3 weeks, I'll play test it again, and if the store model is there compare the two horns with each other.

I used to play a Benge (Serial # 15189) and I loved that horn. I no longer have it though. I'm a comback player. I tried the new Benge horns from UMI and it "felt" like a knock-off, a Benge "want to be". I sent it back.

I liked the Bach, but am still wondering if I did the right thing in ordering one. The biggest hassle about this is ordering a Kanstul, waiting for it to arrive and testing it. Then what, if I don't like it, having to send it back.

I guess what this boils down to is, I'm looking for more advice.

2. alanbach

alanbach Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    South Wales U.K.
    You can't go wrong with a Bach Strad especially if u persevere with a 1 1/4c mpc. It's going to take some time to get used to it but they are great. I have played one for five years after playing flugel (still do) for 15 years. I have recently bought a used 43 Strad and love that as well. Go for it mate and stick with it. In time you may want to buy another trumpet but your Strad will still be there!! I spend a couple of hours everyday just tootling away......great to be retired !! :lol: 8)

3. Spawn

Spawn Pianissimo User

Dec 21, 2003
    alanbach,
    Thanks. :) I'm a one horn kind of guy. I can't see myself ever having more than one horn.

4. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
  5. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Spawn -

Along with what DrunkIQ said, if you had an LA Benge, which from the 15xxx SN it seems you did, and you LOVED that horn, then you owe it to yourself to try a Kanstul Chicago. Tom Turner, a well respected guy here and other places, has a lot of experience with old Strads and Benges and he says the Chicago plays like the best older Benges.

Also, quality is no comparison. A Kanstul horn is in another league above Selmer.

If you can't find a Kanstul dealer near you, try PickMusic:
    http://www.pickmusic.net/custom_chicago.htm

or Springfield Music:

http://springfield-music.com/band-orch.htm

I guess my advice is that there are a LOT of really fantastic horns out there to try. Keep in mind, the smaller builders like Kanstul, Wild Thing, Eclipse, Callet... are successful because of outstanding quality and service, not because they crank out thousands of horns a year like Bach, Yamaha, etc.

Greg

6. Spawn

Spawn Pianissimo User

Dec 21, 2003
    Thanks. I may have to keep the Bach. I read the fine print, and if I cancel the order, they are going to sock it to me with the restock fee. Damn. However, I do like the sound and the play of the Bach.

Guess I'm experiencing a kind of like pre-wedding cold feet.

7. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I don't know about FLA, but most states you have a few days to back out of a sale (unless its Real Estate).

8. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Hi there,

Too many good players play Bach for it to be a bad decision.

Regards

Trevor

9. Hornucopia

Hornucopia New Friend

Nov 2, 2003
    Hey Spawn,

Sounds like you did your homework before you ordered the Bach. Chances are you'll get a fine horn. Lay off the second guessing!

Enjoy your new horn when it arrives -- and keep us posted!

HC

10. bugler16

bugler16 Pianissimo User

Dec 14, 2003
    I know lots of people who play lots of different brand horns. And I mean every different brand Bach, Yamaha, B&S, Schilke, Conn, Monette, Blackburn, Kanstul, French Besson and the list goes on. The one thing is though that they all sound great on their horn and they chose the brand they play on because they like the way they sound on it. All pro horns are at a certain level and are played by pro's (people who make a living playing trumpet). When it comes right down to it you are basically going to sound like you no matter the horn. If you like the way you sound on the Bach then stick with it. It is a great horn.