The Amateur/Professional Divide

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tutin_trumpeta, Jan 26, 2010.

1. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    I'm a amateur professional trumpet player, which is one step up from someone whom plays trumpet and one step lower than a amateur trumpet player in a non-professional situation in direct relation to whether they come back or not, pay not withstanding.:shock:

2. Mambo King

Mambo King Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2009
    London
    It's an irrelevant label. I know "pros" who don't get the horn out from gig to gig but make two or three times as much as a qualified, dilligent, dedicated teacher and "amateurs" who have an amazing passion and commitment to their craft. There will always be people in the music business with a need to label and pigeonhole but it's a waste of energy. Focus more on your passion and leave box ticking to those who consider it important.

3. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Hi, all!

I'd agree with the dude from New Zealand: Making a living from music is Pro, making money but doing something else from which to live is semi-pro (I fall into that category as I am a "professional" engineer/scientist, but make enough money playing to have to include that in my taxes, my wife does as well, as a professional librarian). An amateur is one who does it purely for the joy (literally "Love") of playing.

Of course there's a grey area in between those levels as well, but I think that's enough. Being a "professional" certainly doesn't guarantee quality of playing, nor does being an amateur preclude displaying an amazing talent.

To the Tax Man, if you make money, any money, you're a pro and should cough up your share.

To the Union man (I'm a member!) if you make any money playing, you should be a member of the Union and become a "pro".

That's my take on the matter!

Guy Clark
    South Bay Brass
    Silicon Valley Brass Band - A Traditional British Brass Band