The Art of Baroque Trumpet Playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by brian moon, Nov 30, 2005.

1. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Continuing from the thread Natural Trumpet Playing: I got my set of three books yesterday.

http://www.drawbridgemusic.com/x/en...N=IRH-49008177&HL=ON&NARROW=49008177&SPLIT=ON

Exactly as described. All 3 volumes for $30.76. I chose the budget shipping because I am a cheapskate. It only took a couple of days after they had the order ready.

The plastic bag that the books were inside of has a tag marked 89.90 euros. This is the real item. I can't imagine paying the list price. That would be way too much.

Once in a while there is a free lunch.

YEEE HAH!

2. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Just making sure of something...

Does anyone have the 3 volumes when they were sold separately and is able to compare the two sets? I'm curious if this is a new printing to be sold as a set and may be different in some way? The price was dramatically reduced to purchase as a set.

3. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

$84.96 at Drawbridge now. YIKES!!!

I guess it was a mistake. Like I said before. My books had a price on the plastic wrapping of 89.90 Euros. They only charged me 30 some dollars.

4. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Brian,

Wouldn't you love to know how many actually went out the door at that price?? :lol:

"Gosh, we are really doing well on the sales of these Tarr books"

:whistle:

5. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

ROGERIO:

I sure would. They'll make up for the short fall quickly though. My wife gets $.05 and $.10 commission on her music from another publisher that sells for $2.50 and up.

My first reaction the other day was," MAN, I wish that I had bought them all!"

6. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Wow, I had no idea these books were so expensive, I found all three volumes in a hole in the wall music shop across from one of the schools I teach at, picked up all three volumes for $7

7. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Mahler, Mahler, Mahler !!!

Here we were feeling all smart for getting such a good deal... and you come around with that piece of news!!!! :woop:

Okay... my set came with a pop-out Ed Tarr that sits on the stand and sings along with the exercises... beat that Mr. Mahler! :-P

8. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    How do you like it Brian?

What's your opinion on this book Rowuk? Do you have another recommendation?

Liad Bar-EL

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Ed Tarr is one of THE pioneers of natural/baroque trumpet. He is trumpet player and musicologist with fantastic resources in Basel. I am sure it is good.
    I do not personally own this collection, so I can't say anything detailed about it.
    Congrats on the GREAT deal!

10. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

I think that anyoone playing natural trumpet will enjoy them and should own them. All three together are the size of an Arban book. The printing quality and artistic covers make them quite easy to look at. The notes are big so "baby boomers", like me, can read them. $90 seems a bit high but I have not seen anything else as compettiion.

Volume 1 (Basic Exercises) is mainly technical exercises and instruction. which include material from historic trumpet books; Kressen, Cacciamani, Dauverne, Altenburg, Bendinelli, and Fantini.
    Volume 2 (Method of Ensemble Playing) is mainly duets and volume 3 (A Beautiful Bouquet of the Finest Fanfares) is music for larger trumpet ensembles. These two volumes are also full of historical information and suggestions on performance.

If you were to buy just one volume #1 is where to start.

$7? Mine are gold plated.