"The Art of Playing Trumpet in the Upper Register"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comeback, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    August Haas is a young trumpet player from Milwaukee who has been increasing in prominence in recent years. His doctoral dissertation is entitled "The Art of Trumpet Playing in the Upper Register". It does a nice job of rounding up information familiar to some of us and packaging it neatly in a single document. His sources are perceived by many to be legitimate and authoritative. Also, the information presented is not restricted to playing in the upper register.

Mr. Haas' dissertation is available here: http://scholarlyrepository.miami.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1536&context=oa_dissertations. Note: this dissertation may have been posted here on TM before, but if so, I believe it has been a while ago.

Jim

2. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    Thanks for the post. Interesting reading for sure. The bibliography alone is a nice resource for some background reading.

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Around here, eh? Tell him I'd be happy to bring over some Buescher trumpets for him to try.

Tom

4. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I've heard Augie play lead trumpet at the last IAJE convention in NYC. He has is down!

Pete

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Yes - he should have put in there - "although anyone theoretically can play in the upper register it is highly advised they learn proper technique at the earliest possible age" - sure an old dog can learn NEW TRICKS, I'm living proof - but this OLD DOG can only do the new trick a few times before he's tired out and needs a nap" ROFL ROFL ROFL

6. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    My pleasure! Like you, I found value in the bibliography. David Hickman's works, in particular, have captured my interest: http://www.hickmanmusiceditions.com/default.asp.
    Jim

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Something of the extent of a dissertation needs some serious time to glean what is in it. I see about 3-4 weeks of reading.........

8. some_blue

some_blue Pianissimo User

Jan 21, 2004
    Thanks for posting !!! Thoughtful, insightful, useful discourse, and impressive scholarship as well ...

9. some_blue

some_blue Pianissimo User

Jan 21, 2004
    and what Rowuk said !

10. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    That's too hard. Will it work - can I play double high C in 37 weeks - if I just rub it across my chops?