The Balanced Embouchure

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by larrios, Jan 21, 2013.

1. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    If I understand the exercises correctly, the flexibility are not just flexibility exercises, they are exercises to drag the roll-in embouchure into the middle to lower registers, no?

Also, the BE exercises aren't just these two (long tones & flexibility). The tonguing through the teeth are important exercises as are the exercises which drag the roll-out into the upper registers (and the opposite). As I recall, the only exercises that don't have an added BE goal to them are the double and triple tonguing exercises and the cresc, decresc exercises. The others are not merely redundancies to the kinds of exercises that we all play anyway, but they have an added association to some aspect of the BE that needs developing.

2. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    I have highlighted the key phrase here... "Just practicing" won't work for everyone - it didn't work for me.

I had very highly regarded teachers, was diligent in my practicing and by all accounts I was doing the right things, but I had a mental block that kept me from figuring out what the lips needed to do. I didn't get it until I went to see a teacher who could see/hear exactly what I was doing and tell me how to change that. Once that block was removed and I got put on the right path, it was just a matter of time and practice.

If your lips are doing more or less pretty close to what they should be doing, then I agree, any method will work just fine. If your lips are not working right, no amount of soft playing, long tones, etc, is going to fix that.

3. larrios

larrios New Friend

Jan 16, 2013
    Expanding the lip range of motion through the roll in and roll out exercises, whether you want to acknowledge it or not, is a very important concept in this method.

That certainly hasn't been my experience.

Ko

4. larrios

larrios New Friend

Jan 16, 2013
    No. There are roll-in exercises to drag the roll-in feel down into the normal playing range. Similarly, there are roll-out exercises to drag the roll-out feel up into the normal playing range. Lip slurs are generally done on your normal setup.

The lip slurs have several functions, some of which are: helping to establish a continuous flex between the extreme ends of the lip range of motion (bridging the gaps), improving lip-tongue-air coordination, and improving flexibility and endurance.

Tonguing off the top lip is a very important part of BE. I've seen many players make dramatic improvements (sound, intonation, articulation) by simply giving themselves permission to tongue off the top lip.

Ko

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I did acknowledge that Jeff Smiley is very good at "creating metaphors and painting pictures". And I did acknowledge that "BE gives you a strategy for approaching these studies".

But what you are calling "lip range of motion" is not a new concept. BE does present a different way of looking at this concept. That's great. The down side, as I said in my initial reply, is that it comes with a certain amount of baggage.

If that's the case, then you need more help than BE can give you.

tobylou8 likes this.
  6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I agree, it is a multitude of events... methods... that keep the balance, not one method... My experience is long tones when used intelligently are absolutely a part of my daily work out, actually at the start of the daily workout, then lip range exercises follow, that include slurs, octaves, tonguing workout. Remember we are talking balance. The yin and yang is important to maintain the balance, because if you try to leave out the y in understanding this, you are just left with in an ang and that's just wrong (please notice... there is no y in wrong.

7. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    [​IMG]

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Pete, not agin ya at all. I agree with and appreciate everything you have said... especially above. And practicing intelligently not "just practicing" is again key. So I do think we actually agree... So could you please, please beam me up now?

9. larrios

larrios New Friend

Jan 16, 2013
    Just to be clear, I never stated or implied that they are new concepts, just that they are important. Jeff is clear about where he learned certain aspects that he combined in BE and gladly and openly gives credit to these people.

I'll be the first to admit that I was in a horrible state when I started BE over ten years ago, perhaps even worse than you could imagine, but I don't see why you would want to portray BE as inadequate to help me. It did help me, and it still does.

Ko