The bar is raised once again

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    Thanks!

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    It a real easy transposition. Just add four flats and read in bass clef, but look out for the runs!

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Ah...what night is it if you don't live in town?

-cw-

4. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    And what night is it if you can't be in town but desperately want to be?

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    That may be the line of the year...

...and Chuck, it you don't live in town it ain't no night at all because G-d help me if I have to play this thing ever again!

ML

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Kiss off accomplished! I'm holding the stupid note and thinking "Oh, yeah... Jerry said to do a 'Chase' at the end." So, I held it just a bit over and kissed it off. Miller loved it! One more shot tonight.

The composer's name is Dankner. It's actually a very good piece. There's another well-wrtten piece by somebody who's supposed to be the latest darling of the NYC critics, a fellow named Roumain. I was pretty pleased by the quality of the newer, living composer works on this program.

If I sound surprised that some new stuff is good, forgive me. It's just that I've heard and played enough garbage where it's nice to play stuff that's got some craft behind it. That doesn't mean it has to be tonal. It just has to have an idea and some development to shake my tree. Otherwise it's just another yawn for me.

ML

7. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    I wish I could hear it. We were out of town last night, and tonight I have a church gig.

Ladies and gents, if you have never heard ML play in the upper register, I can tell you he has as big a set of cojones as any "lead" player out there. I can think of 2 instances years ago when I was playing extra in the MO section with him. One weekend we were doing Bernstein's "Prelude, Fugue, and Riffs".........I was on the 5th part, honking out low stuff and Manny was 3 octaves above me, just wailing F's and F#'s. Another time we did a thing with the Canadian Brass. I believe it was "Beale Street Blues"...ML was just wailing. And of course, the duets with him and Doc. Incredible playing.

:-)

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Ok, this time, add a "shave and a haircut" at the end, and we'll let you in the club!

9. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Or a little doit up to the double C (Bb)! Come on...you know you want to!

10. SamTheMan

SamTheMan New Friend

Jun 30, 2005
    I heard the F! I saw the kiss-off! I felt the sheer power of that amazing spiritual music! I also smelled the scorching Monette horn and tasted the remnants of burning brass in the air of Orchestra Hall.

Ok, those last two are a stretch.

Awesome concert, Mr. Laureano! I especially enjoyed Blur, which was a surprise since techno music and I usually don't get along very well.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007