The benefits of playing early in the morning

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by frankmike, Feb 25, 2010.

1. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    Hi, recently I started some serious time management in my life, and I'm trying to squeeze as much as possible practice time in my time sheet. So I found additional 30 minutes early in the morning, it is from 7:30 to 8:00 AM
    Thing is my lips are swallen from sleep and I'm a bit dazed. I play immediately after I wake, I only drink glass of water prior. And at frist playing is extremly diffcult, but when I warm up my lips than it is ok. Thing is when I play my usual practice around 7:00PM that day it is much easier and much better if I played in the morning. Why is that so? My third practice is with mute on around midnight

2. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Your lips get used to playing at a certain time of the day. You're throwing your routine off. It's fine if you wanna change but don't force it. Just like any other activity are become familiar with routine, and with time it'll get better. Never force a warmup if you don't have too. If it take longer than usual to warm up, you need to chill for a while to prevent damage to your chops. I also suggest more than one glass of water because sleep often leaves the body without the greatest amount of water (you can't drink in your sleep).

3. ccb_22

ccb_22 Pianissimo User

Jan 12, 2010
    Wilmington
    I really envy people who think 7:30 in the morning is early. :) Seriously though, in my humble opinion, having a good consistent warm up routine is essential. I always play better later in the day and evening if I have warmed up properly that morning. Then I'll put the horn away for a few hours and then all it takes is just a few minutes to get warmed back up and I'm good to go. I think it's more about practicing smart, rather than practicing hard.

4. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    Jazz band for us starts at 6:30a.m.

5. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    I don't know how qualified I am to give advice/opinions, but I was also told that when you start practicing more often your lips do start taking longer to warm up in some cases.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    When in grad school, I used to go to bed around 1:00am; get up at 5:00 to go jogging for an hour between 5:30 and 6:30 (I wasn't an exercise freak: there was a cute flute player who jogged at this time.) Straight afterwards I could pick up the trumpet and walk up to a written C4, much to the amazement of some bleary-eyed colleagues.

My secret? I was awake, really awake, and they weren't.

Wake up, then play. It does wonders.

7. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    So, I am alittle unclear.

I have settled into a very consistant practice routine. I have noticed that the longer I go with no deviation from that routine, the longer it takes me to warm up. Is that a bad thing?

I only get a about an hour/hour and a half a day on the horn. Here is my practice routine:

30-40 minutes

Warm-up/etudes Rubanks Method book stuff. Lots of Lip sluring, Pedal tones, and Articulation exercises. I always end this section with the "America" Theme and Variations from Rubanks intermmediate.

10 minutes

I work on a specific solo I am trying to learn. Right now, Chet Bakers "Tangerine"

10-25 minutes

Play through various "fake book" charts until the lip says no more.

Am I being counter productive with the way I am practicing?

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    I'm guessing that you're body isn't totally awake yet. For me it always my brain that wakes up last. Later in the day, I'm firing on all 12 cylinders.
    I practice in the early morning. I get on the exercise bike at 5:30 with my trumpet and do lip slurs and really quiet long tones while I ride the bike.
    Yes playing later in the day is alot easier than early morning for me too.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  9. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I am an early riser, I start to play very early in the morning also. Morning hours had never fazed me. Back in the good old days we used to record dates that started at Nine o'clock in the morning. Imagine having to play Piccolo trumpet lines at that hour. It really isn't that hard.
    If your lips are swollen in the morning, you are doing something wrong at night. Do you hold the horn in the grip of death? Are you playing louder than you have to?
    I have been playing this morning for an hour, the neighbors are not banging on my door.
    My days start quietly and stress-free. Clarke studies always work for me.
    Wilmer

10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Same here