The best trumpet year of my life

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cyber_shake, Jan 8, 2012.

1. cyber_shake

cyber_shake Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2006
    The 'Nati
    9 JAN 2011

I've been playing trumpet since 1971 ... never stopping over all the years ... but this past 12 months has been my favorite year ever.

Maybe no one else cares or even needs to read this, but it is my way of reviewing my thoughts and taking a few moments to be thankful.

First, Tom Green returned my 1961 Getzen Power Bore 90PB trumpet after using his magic skills to apply a custom finish on the horn. It plays so nicely, and I can't stop looking at it. This is a .468 bore horn that is the large version of the Super Deluxe series without the copper trim bits.

Then, I picked up a new Getzen 3850 Custom Series cornet after attending the NKU Trumpet Day and hearing a few cornets played. It is my first cornet ever and I am totally in love with the sound and the Getzen valves. I can't imagine how they could be better after 'break-in'! This is a .462 bore.

Now, I just picked up a Selmer Claude Gordon trumpet and must say, large bore is where it is at for me. This .470 bore has an amazingly sweet when playing at low volume and lights up when you push on the gas pedal.

I still enjoy my Romeo Adaci the most, but I have some amazing options!

I also gathered some musical friends and we started playing jazz together to prepare for a friends wedding reception. That gig was New Year's Eve and is was a total gas. We now have another gig lined up.

I have an incredible line up of horns and my chops feel better than ever. I wish I was in college again! No regrets, but wow I am having fun!

I also appreciate this online trumpet community. Thanks to all. I hope that 2012 is the best year of your life (so far!). I'll play to that!

codyb226 likes this.
  2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Congrats Blaine, this year was also good for me too, I met the super C (haven't been back) and I am getting to know the super G pretty good. I got my new horn too. That does sound like a good year for you, the best thing, this year will be better!
    All the best,
    Cody

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
  4. melza

melza Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2010
    Australia
    Well done and all the best for 2012 , the getzen looks nice Im sure it plays great too

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    One of the most memorable achievements of this year is having the pleasure of actually meeting Blaine. He is an amazing individual, a GREAT conversationalist, creative and has some EXCELLENT tastes in trumpets.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The second best achievement of the year is scoring a fantastic find of my '46 Martin Committee. It is the Vulgano Brother equivalent of scoring with Jennifer Aniston as a significant other!

7. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Blaine,

Just wonderful! Keep at it :) Lots of folks to bring joy to and share music with.

8. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    So that means 3rd is winning the best band in Dayton?

9. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Someone had that image code waiting....