The Best Trumpeter You've Never Heard Of

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Derek Reaban, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    A friend sent me this link to an article in the Wall Street Journal called The Best Trumpeter You've Never Heard Of.

I did a search on this site and saw that he performed recently at the FONT in New York.

I'd never heard of Randy Sandke, but after reading this article, I will certainly check out some of his recordings!

2. Whataguy!

Whataguy! Pianissimo User

Jan 16, 2004
    Osaka, Japan
    Didn't someone say the same thing about Carl Saunders a while back?

3. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    i have three that maybe never heard of isnt' quite the word, but they are little known

Gary Bordner (Saint Paul)
    Susan Slaughter (Saint Louis)
    Brian Perry (Lyric Opera Orchestra)

4. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    He's a Chicago guy, been on the scene over 20 years. The Widespread Jazz Orch. was his baby and has been active in NY working with Mel Lewis and others over the years. Good player, good guy..

Michael McLaughlin

Without self-confidence we are as babes in the cradles. And how can we generate this imponderable quality, which is yet so invaluable most quickly? By thinking that other people are inferior to oneself.
    Virginia Woolf

5. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    It took Wynton Marsalis 5 days of 'cut and paste' to come up with his recording of the 'Variations on the Carnival of Venice'. Yesterday, I heard my teacher, Paul Lenz, put that recording to shame. He blew through four of the variations (at my lesson) incredibly fast with flawless technique. He had performed all 7 variations this last weekend for a concert. I'm waiting to get a recording of it so that I can share.

Paul is another 'great unknown' who is one of the best and fastest trumpet players you will ever hear.

6. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana

Last edited: May 22, 2007