The best valve springs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Nov 3, 2007.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    Does anyone know what the best valve springs are, what is the finest/fastest gauge, and where to buy them?

2. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY

For what trumpet?

3. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2003
    I put Schilke light weight springs in all my horns. Made a huge difference.

Seth Moore

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Crow,
    like everything else trumpet, it is personal preference. Some love soft and mushy, some love masochism. I have pretty much stuck with the stock springs on every horn that I own. I replace them every 3 or 4 years.

5. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    NYTC,
    Olds Ambassador, Bundy, Holton Collegiate, and Couesnon Flugelhorn. These are all "vintage" horns that play and sound pretty darn good except for the action. I believe really thin/lightweight valve springs will be the cheapest fix. Can you assist me in taking this first step?

6. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Seth,
    I'm collecting all the wisdom I can get. If nothing better comes up I will be buying some Schilke light weight springs.........thanks, crow

7. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    rowuk,
    I like my valves to feel like slippery butter up and down. I have 2 horns that give me that effect. One is an old Conn Victor 22B, and the other is an old Noble. I'm trying to get my other 4 horns feeling the same...........crow

8. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Remember, the lighter action, the slower the valve comes back up. If your spring is super easy to press down, it might not be able to support the weight of the valve. Look for it bobbing up and down when you press it, or not matching the speed of your finger as it moves back into the up position.

9. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    I think it would be safe to say that heavier springs would give you a ton more response and be great to use in any type of ensemble.

10. bigdog

bigdog Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2005
    hawaii
    i still have the original springs from when i got my horn,a benge CG.
    the benge 3 that i picked-up recently had new spings installed,it's made for the horn,tho it doesn't seem as fast as the original benge ones in the CG
    check out ebay,google,experiment with different tensions,your choice........
    aloha