The Best Warm ups and Things to practice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RX-2Fan, Mar 5, 2009.

1. RX-2Fan

RX-2Fan Pianissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Tampa FL
    Hey guys, what would you say are the best warm ups, and the best things to practice?
    Thanks

2. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    It's always good to start with long tones, then do some scales, then warm up your high range. If you take private lessons, practice what you have for that and if you are in a band, those things... and whatever else you feel needs work...:-)

3. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    You need to find the best warm up for you. Everybody is different. As I have evolved as a player, my warm up has gotten shorter. Some players warm up so long, they burn their chops out before they start practicing, or performing.

Pete

4. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
  5. Archer1945

Archer1945 New Friend

Mar 4, 2009
    Missouri
    It also depends on what you are warming up for. A warm-up before a student practice session will be different from that of a pro before they practice, or what you do before a rehearsal or before a concert/performance.

6. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    The question first should be what is a warm-up. I warm-up not only to warm the horn, but to make sure that things are correctly working. Included in warm up is long tones, flexibility exercises, multiple tonguing, etc. Once everything is working then I can go on and work on the things that I need to do. Yes, I am one of those guys that probably spends 45 minutes to an hour to warm-up.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This has been dealt with here before. Many pros advocate no warm up because reality does not always provide time for them. A home practice session should start with things to train evenness of sound and overall flexibility. I disagree with any high range exercises early in the session. My take:

1/3 long tones, slurs, easy articulation, 1/3 MUSIC and at the END of the session 1/3 range and technical studies. NEVER practice music when your chops are tired. It deserves better! Put the chop busters at the END and you will reap the benefits of having made MUSIC more significant!

tedh1951 likes this.
  8. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Make your own warm-up, no one has the same warm-up. It depends on your own chops really. The best thing to start with is well probably be long tones at a slow tempo. Then at your own leasure and speed; lip slurs, articulations, and low slow chorals. I strongly, just because I've wasted practices doing this, advise against working high ranges in warm up. I mean think about it, does that really make sense?!?!

9. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Warm-ups are an important part of the practice session. It is just like a runner getting ready for a mile run or whatever specialty they are doing. They always warm-up in order to avoid pulled muscles. All good athletes do some sort of warm-up. The same is true for a musician. If you go to the symphony, there is alway a warm-up period. The last thing you want to do is "bust" you lip.

As stated above, each individual is different and has their own style. The typical warm-up is: a) Long-Tone (can not be over emphasized); b) major and chromatic scales and c) some sort of flexiblity exercise. They proceed with your practice routine.

As rowuk has stated, this subject has been on this thread many times. I have just finished my book and was thinking of putting some excerpts on here for critic from some of you "experts". Of course this thread never gets super critical so I am sure the comments will be light, but lively...ha ha.

10. SalsaRob

SalsaRob New Friend

Mar 6, 2009
    Hey Hornsters, I nomally don`t warm up a long time before a gig, however I do warm up with my mouthpiece first, & I do this warming up to practice, a rehearsal & gig. In my experience, mouthpiece warmup is like one of the best warmups. I start with long tones[amen for long tones=beautiful & centered tone/sound] , then I start to do scales[minor & major]. But first!!!!!! >>>PEDAL TONES!!!!!!!!!!!! GUYS & GALS, PEDAL TONES ARE LIKE WOW, ESSENTIAL. I ALWAYS START WITH PEDAL TONES ON MY MOUTH PIECE FIRST. TRY IT & THEN U TELL ME.