The Best Warm ups and Things to practice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RX-2Fan, Mar 5, 2009.

1. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    I've never be able to hit a petal tone, no matter how much I try :(

2. Norm Nyary

Norm Nyary New Friend

Dec 16, 2008
    Biloxi, MS
    I agree with Pete, Archer1945, rowuk, and SpiritDCI08. Warm up is a personal thing and may be different for practice session, performance, or anything in between. I have shortened mine to about 10 minutes: 2 min on long, steady tones to get the lips buzzing and blood flowing to the chops. Then about 4 min. on lip slurs assigned by my instructor. Then major scale exercises (22 of them). Then its whatever's most important for that day, but I always practice teacher-assigned work and transposing to concert key. Hey! It works for me.

Petal tones. They are fun, interesting, and of some value. If you're having trouble playing any, try sliding your bottom lip outside the rim of your mouthpiece and buzzing your top lip into the cup. You will get some very low-pitch sounds (notes?).

3. soloft

soloft New Friend

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Two of my favorite things to do:
    Slurs. GECGCEC, then do that for all the fingerings twice.
    Flexibility. Start with G then go down chromatically, taking each note back up to G (G E G, G Eb G). When I get to C, make sure each set goes back to C. After that, start back up at G and keep coming back to G, even after I go below C.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  4. Amir

Amir New Friend

Mar 7, 2009
    Israel
    my choice of warming up is starting doing half scales up and down (for example in C major start with G go down to C and back to G) doing seven oh those (starting with C major and go down to F sharp major)
    after that doing 9 exercise from the fifth clarke.
    after that I'm fully warmed up.

5. Jasperloma

Jasperloma New Friend

Dec 25, 2008
    El Segundo, CA
    This was on my mind as well. I have about one hour a day at most that I can devote to practice. 45 minutes for warming up sounds unproductive. I am just a novice so, I have to spend more time on the very, very basics. It sounds like I should just go with the long tones to get things moving and then go on to the material. Yes?

6. Norm Nyary

Norm Nyary New Friend

Dec 16, 2008
    Biloxi, MS
    Reply to Jasperloma,

I would go ahead with the long tones for a couple minutes to get the lips buzzing, then go with some lip slurs to get the chops moving. Depending on what your basic material is, go ahead with that or first do some scale exercises. Personally, I don't like long warm-ups and are not productive for me. If you find a warm up technique that works for you, stick with it for awhile. Wishing you good playing and progress.

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    A good teacher can show how to approuch pedal tones. It helps to know how to approuch them.