The Brassmaster - David Williams

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Over 3 weeks ago some parts (valve caps / finger buttons) were mailed to Mr. Williams for a gold plate treatment.
    I spoke with him last Monday at which time he advised the work was complete, shipment would be made Tuesday (perhaps via FEDEX), and everything should arrive before Christmas.

As of now, shipment is not here, and I have my doubts that it was even mailed based on some in depth research via the net on him. He has NEVER returned an email inquiry, nor has he returned my phone call. He has been pleasant to deal with on the phone in the past, however.

He does a lot of business on Ebay, and from the photos his work looked to be good. This is what made my decision with regards to the plating.

There are lengthy posts on the TH forum, all of which are HIGHLY negative. Has anyone here done business with this person? Is he a scam artist? Worst case is I've only lost valve caps and a few buttons.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all, a good night!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  2. forrest

forrest Piano User

Aug 14, 2007
    St Louis MO
    I bought a Marin Magna cornet from him a few years ago. What he described as a flawless restoration, wasn't. It had runs in the lacquer, dings and the old finish wasn't removed before the new applied.

When I complained I received an email from his wife saying what a terrific pro he was and how much care he puts into his work.

They wouldn't take the horn back so I sold it and moved on. Others here had problems as well with shoddy work.

I think you will receive your parts eventually; but honestly, I'd be surprised if the work is to your standards. Maybe Old Lou will tell you if his experience with a prized horn of his.

3. joefab

joefab Pianissimo User

Apr 1, 2008
    Hi,

About 2 years ago, I sent "Brassmaster" two Schilke horns(X3 and C7)for cleaning and goldplating.

He said that he would take 2-3 weeks.

I received them...after A LOT of emails and calls...after 8 months. Each time I communicated, he and his wife were very nice and kept telling me that they would be sent out in 7-10 days....every time.

When I finally received them, the finish was awful. The plating was uneven and different colors. There were also a lot of dust marks on the horn.

I sold them and moved on.

I believe that they are not crooks. You get your stuff back...but after a very long "7-10" days. The work though was horrible.

I hope this helps.

Merry Christmas!

4. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    I guess the good news, if you can call it that, is that I only sent valve caps and finger buttons!

5. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    The crazy thing is this...his rating on Ebay is 100% positive. And the reviews are stellar. Go figure.

6. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I don't know what it takes to get negative feedback on e-Bay. Once I had a textbook sale in which the buyer bailed out after receiving the item because her class had been cancelled. As I recall ,the transaction was a no return type, or no return policy was specified. I graded her as neutral, she went into a rage and threatened me with negative feedback and contacting e-Bay administrators, the government, FBI and Marines (Ok, I exaggerate a little).

7. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    No, no, no, no, no, no, no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The BrassMonster strikes again!!! :bash: I sent my Olds Recording to him in October of 2009 and it took five months of calling, then finally a threat to go legal to get my horn back. I am only 97 miles from Tallahassee and entertained a trip to his shop for a personal visit. When (finally) he returned my Olds, the lacquer had runs in it, and other surfaces began to tarnish where there was no lacquer at all. I wouldn't send a plastic vuvuzela to this clown for work. Search for BrassMonster and see what I posted previously or search my postings for more misery. Not even the craftmen at Kanstul could undo what this charlatan had done.

8. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Chck out why they are positive. No overhauls or refinishings are rated, just sales of horns and minor drivel like replating mouthpieces.

9. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Sounds familiar. my Olds was supposed to be back before Christmas...last year. I got it in April. Excuses included: Too cold to spray, to warm and humid to spray, etc...WRONG. We have the same climate in Dothan Alabama. Besides, WHERE is he spraying, in his back yard???

10. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Thanks to everyone for the feedback on this. I have pretty much "written off" my parts and will order a new trim kit from Harrelson. My horn (yes, a beginner Yammie) is quite nice but unplayable without the missing parts.
    Have read a lot of good stuff about Harrelson's work.

I'll keep everyone updated as to when (if) my parts show up.