The Brassmaster - David Williams

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Please let us know.

2. likesRawCopper

likesRawCopper Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2010
    Georgia, United States
    It pays to examine this guy's web site too. For example, a supposed 'same horn' restore of a flugelhorn: Restorations and Overhauls

If I were in the business I'd show better quality and more exhaustive photographs of my work. While this may be the same horn, the pinky hook went from being of "King" type to a standard type. Would this really be by 'the owner's request'? And he took pics of different sides, which to me is a tad suspicious.

Notice too that the buttons that link to Repairs; Gold Plating; and Custom Designs have no content. ROFL - Tale-tale signs of poor quality in my opinion. If he cannot put effort into a decent web site, leaving even it under construction, I would not expect him to handle a re-lacquering, or restoration job of my horn either.

I hope you get your parts back and I hope that by some curious happenstance, he did a good job.

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    That is an interesting set of pictures. To me it does NOT look like the same horn.

The width of the 3rd valve slide is much wider.

The first valve slide looks different also.

Different valve caps and finger buttons.

I'm not saying it is NOT the same horn, but it sure has changed.

4. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    To say it has changed is the understatement of the century!

5. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Funny pictures! He probably destroyed the original, and then baught a "new" Kanstul! Nothing looks the same!!

6. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    All of this conversation makes me VERY glad I instructed him NOT to lap the valves on my Recording. At least the valves are perfect and he didn't remove too much brass from the horn, the engraving is perfect, and it is a good candidate for a simple stripping, hand polishing and relacquering. That runny, spotty lacquer still makes me sick. See below the lacquer job the BrassMonster performed on my beloved Recording and the scratches still visible on the bell:

[​IMG]

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    They were ALL upgrades at the customers request.;-)

8. supposeda3

supposeda3 Piano User

Jan 3, 2009
    Central PA
    The upgrade requested must have been a new horn!ROFL

9. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    The verdict is in! Fedex just dropped off my newly plated parts...what a pleasant surprise!

Mr. Williams did a fine job on the gold plating. Two sets of finger buttons, plus the valve cap set. Since the Yammie had just been polished up, the addition of the gold trim kit gives it a stunning appearance, from a cosmetic point of view.

The horn actually looks better than my new Getzen.

I'm very pleased and hopefully this will help the Brassmaster's reputation around here!

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Glad it worked out for you! Maybe he read your posts :lol:!