The Brassmaster - David Williams

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Dec 24, 2010.

1. likesRawCopper

likesRawCopper Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2010
    Georgia, United States
    I'm relieved that you got positive, pleasing results.

2. trumpettodd

trumpettodd New Friend

Apr 12, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Hello all! I know this thread has been dead for a good time but I thought I should also warn people of "The Brassmaster."

As some others have posted, David and his wife are very nice and encouraging (their son was too actually...) but the: "I'll ship it out tomorrow," "it'll arrive within two weeks," etc are just as described. I sent him a Blackburn C (which is amazing if anyone wants to know) sometime around the end of April 2010 and I got it back around November 2010. After about two months (the time it "would" take) I began calling him weekly to get responses like: "The place where I get my silver/gold from is closed/behind currently, should be soon!" After about four months I began calling every day or so. I called and emailed almost every day until I finally told him I would file a police report and fly out to his house if I had to, and I would make his life miserable. I got it about a week later.

The plating was so-so. The silver has a few small spots where it is raw (polished) brass and the gold accents are very thin. To be honest, I wondered if it was even gold at first or just very polished brass, but after several months there is no discoloration so it appears to be gold. He also did not send back a mouthpiece that was with the trumpet.

Note: I looked him up a bit before I sent anything and what I found was positive so I sent a mouthpiece that I could live without (before the trumpet). He actually called me when he completed plating it and it arrive as advertised. Since it was such a good experience and I could find nothing wrong I decided he was trustworthy. If only that was true for my trumpet! Please do not make my mistake, you will be a very angry person for about 6-8 months!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Knowing what we know about eBay, I am surprised that ANYONE uses the rating system for anything except tracking how MANY transactions have taken place.

What a messed up world if we need to praise "sound, common business practice". I EXPECT to get what I ordered when it is promised. If there is a delay, the I EXPECT to be notified, not have to ask. I mean come on, email is essentially instant and has no additional cost of business for the company.

If I buy something on ebay, I do not go crazy with praise. A simple: I got what I ordered and it took "x" weeks" is all that I am willing to post unless they REALLY went out of their way!

4. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Well TrumpetTodd, what you describe here is rather pathetic.

I sent my horn to Anderson plating for a complete overhaul, valve job and plating. I was given price and time estimates. The horn came back looking much better than when it left my house, with a superb thick plating, in less time and for less money than the estimate. That's quality work. Might have been more expensive but sure as heck worth the expense.
    Considering what you described here, I don't see how anyone would want to bother with the clown you dealt with. Ick!!

5. trumpettodd

trumpettodd New Friend

Apr 12, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    I'm glad you had a better experience! I would gladly pay double just to avoid the stress if I had to. Do you know if Anderson does horn restoration? I have a 1920's Holton that is a very dear family trumpet that I would love to have restored while maintaining as much original equipment as possible. Even though I'm sure it worth very little I am very glad that I didn't trust the Brassmaster enough to restore it and plate my C...

6. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Yes they do, that's what I had done on my horn, which was a 1970s Selmer. It was decent playing but needed serious work. You can send them an e-mail, the guy who oversees that work is John, he was always good about returning messages.

7. trumpettodd

trumpettodd New Friend

Apr 12, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Thank you much!

8. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    After reading this thread I dug out from DEEP storage my dads beautiful and prized York Master Model trumpet that I sent to David Williams a couple of years ago. I was instantly reminded of the very poor valve replating and lapping job that he did. The second valve leaks a good bit and the nickle plating is peeling off of the valve piston, down to what looks like a copper flash. The horn is a very fine instrument, but, he made it into a useless decoration. To send it back would be to just get more lied about delays and more poor workmanship. If in pristine condition, I estimate that its value would be about $500.00. To invest another $350.00 to $400.00 at Andersons Plating to rectify The Brassmasters rotten work would bring my investment in an inherited horn to $775.00-$800.00. I just put my dads favorite trumpet in storage again, hopefully to forget my folly in sending it to David. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

OLDLOU>>

9. Yulnoda

Yulnoda New Friend

Jun 6, 2011
    Yes I agree with you, he should be called BRASSMUNSTER.
    If anybody out there has given his or her instrument to this guy and haven't received it back you should do what I did. I reported him to Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) | Home.
    This is a website linked to the FBI and other agencies that protects the consumer that has been scammed by people doing business on the Internet.
    I gave him my Bach 43 two months ago and every time I call him he said that the trumpet will be mailed next day and I haven’t receive nothing.
    If you have payed him via Paypal, open a case against him and …DO NOT….AND I REPEAT DO NOT LIFT IT OFF. That is the only place where you could get him.
    I lifted mine because he said that was going to ship my trumpet the next day and he didn’t.
    This guy and everyone related to him answering the phone calls are all a team of crooks and scammers.
    Go to trumpetherald.com and you’ll see more complaints about him there.
    He is the nightmare that you will hunt you day after day.
    DO NOT GIVE MORE BUSINESS TO THIS PERSON.