The Buzzing book by James Thompson

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rettepnoj, Jan 7, 2013.

1. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Have anyone here used it? Is it a good tool?

2. Cimarron

Cimarron New Friend

Dec 10, 2012
    Hi rettepnoj , my firsts day with him . Its a great book to work pitch, tone and breath velocity . The first 4 are basic exercises for the rest of the book. In my case I have problems with buzzing in the upper register and try to improve with this method. Just get a good D 4 line, with good sound, buzzing fat when I do. While I play the trumpet i have a good open High C . For me is much more important a good sound.

Adrian.

3. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway

4. Cimarron

Cimarron New Friend

Dec 10, 2012
  5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Back in the day we had just the Stamp book, and had the luck to go over some of the exercises with a good student of Roy Poper, who studied with James Stamp for over a decade.

Mouthpiece buzzing can do some weird and wonderful things to our playing (and the weird ones are not so wonderful). I am really hesitant to get students into mouthpiece buzzing other than the ear training and some of the slur "pops" that can be learned. Stamp noticed our tendency to ''telegraph" interval slurs, and those funny lines he wrote are as reminder to us to simply stop doing so.

I haven't used the Thompson Buzzing Book, but there is one thing to keep in mind:

Bravo, Mr. Thompson both humbly and concisely written!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  6. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Yes.

After a layoff, came right back to it. Now I'm flat on my back sicker than a dog, again. But when better, will stick to it and keep at it.

7. CNYTrumpet

CNYTrumpet Pianissimo User

Jun 19, 2008
    I use it on an alternating basis with some of the Stamp studies. I find it really helps to center my tone. I do however, only play out of the book a few minutes a day.

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Hey, Richard! Get better soon!

9. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    Jon
    Try and read what Allen Vizzuti has to say about buzzing (not much!) also Greg Spence (google him) may open a different insight. good luck

10. jengstrom

jengstrom Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    Thompson likes buzzing (obviously). Vizutti has a reputation of being against it. Interestingly, James Thompson and Alan Vizutti are buddies. I know Jim a little bit. One of these days, I'm going to ask him how they reconcile the 2 philosophies. They must have discussed it.

-John