The California Has Landed In New York!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Horns' started by ALLCHOPS, Jun 8, 2005.

1. ALLCHOPS

ALLCHOPS Piano User

Nov 14, 2003
    Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
    I just received the new Stage 1 California about an hour ago...

First thing is it's a beauty! The plating came out perfect compliments of Lee from Eclipse... Most of you have probably seen the picture of the Brushed Silver w/Highlights and know how that looks!! I can tell you it's a far cry from Raw Brass(never again)... The special U shaped bracing that Lee desinged is sharp looking and adds some class to this first time run of a world class horn..

I stuck my GR NB 63***(Thanks Bruce) and started playing in the mid to low register.. I was surprised to say the least how open it played for a .460 bore and qiute delighted from the get go! Compared to the Stage 1 New York the horn is lighter but still heavier than I'm accustomed to...

The construction is extremely solid and the horn feels balanced.. The large finger rings are a nice addition and again give it that extra pinache in the looks departement.

After warming up a bit I ventured up to high C with ease and conviction noticing that it took much less effort than my current horn.. The focus is tight yet the projection seems endless.. My 4 year old and his babysitter were playing 'Mouse Trap' and he told me that it was too lound and I should stop.. I went out to my back deck after a few double pedals which locked in effortlessly as well and gave the birds a chirp or two..

I started on High C and slurred to E and bingo.. Just a flawless transition with the horn going where my chops told it to.. pitch seemed perfect without utilizing a tuner which I will do later. I did the same to high F, then F# up chromactically to Double C.. All notes slotted perfectly not to mention the high B which has always escaped me on any other horn that I've played! I still can't believe the projection of this thing, tremendous!

I have a few lessons to give this afternoon and will play it some more with some kids who have Bach's of course... I can already tell it will blend better than what I've been using..

I will use it on a gig Thursday and will write more after that experience, that will be the tell all.

I've also been told that 18 out of 20 people who have had a chance to play the horn at Felix's shop want one just as this one.. Take 300% away from that winning percentage and let the Yankees take the leftovers, they would kill to have a 600% winning average...

In closing I would like to sincerely thank Felix Vayser of The New York Trumpet Company for his perseverance in making his dream a reality for all of us to share... Keep it coming Felix!!!

More to come!

Thank you so much!

Tony G :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

2. ALLCHOPS

ALLCHOPS Piano User

Nov 14, 2003
    Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
    Cali

Did I happen to mention the quality that this horn pocesses!!! :D :D :D

I took it apart and cleaned it yesterday mainly to check it out and put my own oil and grease on it... The valves, the valves , the valves are outstanding especially with the recessed whatcha-ma-call-it's that give it the appearance of having about a 1/2" throw... Cool as hell! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

There is a new kid on the block and if you are at all interested in a new commercial axe in this exceptional price range, don't let this one slip by your trials!

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Tony G

3. ALLCHOPS

ALLCHOPS Piano User

Nov 14, 2003
    Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
    Close Call!

So I can't wait to get to my gig and show the boys the horn, get on with sound check then play through 3 sets and hear what they have to say!!!

Let me back up a bit... On Tuesday night we played for about 2,500 people in a theater setting... WE did not use our PA or In-Ear Monitors, just wedge monitors for 2-75 minute sets!! Having no In-Ears = Overblowing more than normal and that's exactly what I did...

Now it's Wed morning and I receive the California with a pretty sore lip.. Usually when this happens I baby it for a day providing I don't have a gig that evening and everything is fine the day after!!! So I played the Cali on and off in 10-15 minute sets if you will maybe 3-4 times as well as a few lessons... So far so good, I should be fine by Thursday!

Well not so fast, I warm up around 3 pm doing the usual double pedals, some soft long tones and then some clark study tounge stuff and played up to high C... I felt pretty good, now it's time to go to the gig!!!

The night starts out and I can't seem to get a handle on anything... I'm also nervous as hell for whatever reason. I can't seem to find the pitch with some of the notes and it's really messing w/my head!!! The first set ends and I'm pissed, depressed, blah blah blah!!!

The guys are asking me what I think and I'm just out of sorts over the whole thing!!!

The second set starts and I decided to approach the horn as I have owned it for years and not be afraid... Well that was the answer!
    Everything began to line up including my mood. My fellow horn guys next to me started giving me the smiles and thumbs up thing... AAHHHH!

I guess I was intimidated during the 1st set for fear of the stuff happening that we're all afraid of from time to time!!! I basically attacked the horn and it responded instead of letting the horn attack me!!! I have to say that it took everything I could give it and then some... The tone is exactly what I'm looking for in this R&B setting... The pitch came into it's own or I should say I got my head out of my ass and started playing correctly... The valves again were beautiful yet took some getting used to because I think they are a shorter throw or stroke, however you would like to think of it..

In closing: This is a horn that is worth every dime and then some... If you take a test run on it, you will see as I have... To me it feels like the 1st time if you know what I mean!!!! :-) :-) :-)

I'm finally liberated! What a blow!

Thanks for reading!

Tony G

4. BAM

BAM New Friend

Oct 26, 2003
    I've had the Stage1 California for a week now, and it has been great getting to play on it for a consistent amount of time. This horn is so efficient, it is definately the easiest horn I have played on. I was worried that after playing the horn for a while, I might lull into a comfort zone and not be so impressed, but quite the contrary. The honeymoon period seems to be on-going, and I highly reccommend trying it out if you haven't already. Look Felix up, you won't regret it.

5. ALLCHOPS

ALLCHOPS Piano User

Nov 14, 2003
    Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
    Cali

So it's been about a week as well for me and I can't get enough of this horn... The intonation is out of this world.. I think prior to this horn I must of had some real lemons.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just can't recall the last time things were this easy and steady!

Now I'm off to spread the 16 yards of mulch piled in my driveway one wheel barrel at a time!!! Anybody want to help? :D :D :D

Tony G

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I picked up my first Schilke ever about 2 months ago, and while it isn't a Stage 1 California, I understand what you mean when you talk about the horn being so easy and steady. I have been experiencing much the same thing with this Schilke - it has brought a lot of fun back to trumpet playing because I now know that I'm not being hindered by my equipment. Whether or not this is a physical thing with the trumpet, or if it is more psychological (or a little bit of both?) could be debated, but at this point, I'm playing better than I have in years (and improving weekly) so I don't really care. :D

If any of you with the Stage 1 Californias ever happen to get down to the Baltimore/DC area, let me know. I would love to get my grubby little paws on one of those horns to give it a once-over myself.

7. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY
    Hi Patrick.
    If you want,once I get them in stock,I can send one out to you to try for a few days.It might take 4-5 month before I get extra pieces,but one will be avilable for you to try.

Felix

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Wow Felix, thanks for the offer. The only thing that I'm afraid of is that I will like it so much, I'm going to want to buy it! :D Keep me posted and we can work something out.

9. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY
    :D

10. pangaea

pangaea Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    maybe trickG and I can try one on the same leg of a tour--we're both in the DC/Baltimore area.

scott

www.vectortrio.com