The Carnival Venice ... but which one?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GideonRichter, Nov 29, 2011.

1. GideonRichter

GideonRichter New Friend

Oct 23, 2011
    Looking from the Arban For Trumpet I find
    Fantasie and Variations
    On
    The Carnival Of Venice

but reading straight from the book I find it very hard to follow along with where he is ( Wynton Wynton Marsalis Carnival Of Venice - YouTube )

My Band Teacher is a Trumpet player and when i asked him about the song and if he could play it he said some other Arrangement of Carnival of Venice not written by JB. Arban ... the one that Wynton is playing, but near the end of the day things go in one ear and out the other.

Is this correct? Is Wynton playing his own "Condensed" version of it? although Ruben Simeo plays the same thing (Ruben Simeo-Carnival of venice (Completo) - YouTube)

So what arrangment are they playing? Just so I cant get the sheets to read along with them.
    Thank you!

2. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    They may very well be playing an arrangement put together for the occasion. The main difference between Wynton's interpretation from your link and what's in the book is that it does not contain all the variations and the 2nd variation is not complete. If you want to try to follow, you can still do so just by putting markings in your book, because it is otherwise faithful to Arban's version for cornet. I found a number of versions on YouTube that were pretty much the same as in the book, including one by Sergei.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The Marsalis arrangement based on the Arban was done by Donald Hunsberger, the conductor of the Eastman Wind Ensemble. To my knowledge, it is now out of print.

4. GideonRichter

GideonRichter New Friend

Oct 23, 2011
    Thank you! I'am pretty sure thats what he said his name was, ill see where i can get this arrangement, for the sake of turning less pages.