The case against lip slurs and trills.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Local 357, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    A lip slur on a trumpet? If you mean to fill the fill the total space from one note to another, it's seldom precise. If you're correcting intonation, it often is a necessity. In full orchestration with a duo of trumpeters overlapping each other and a touch out of synch the lip slur from one note to another sounds great. Ah, the beauty of a trombone slide for slurs from one note to another.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Funny how the famous trombonist Denis Wick wrote about lip slurs, suggesting that they be practiced slowly and paying attention to and memorizing the "breaking point" between two open notes. The portamento and glissando have different issues.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Not at all funny to me ... such is exactly why I said they are "seldom precise". The crux also is that "breaking point" varys conditional on a number of factors, not the least being a variance from trumpet to trumpet of the same manufacturer and model. This is not sayin' I can perform these any better than others or that others can perform a lip slur better than me. We all fell over the same cliff into the abyss of instrumental music.