The chicken or the egg?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Jan 22, 2012.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    And to be even clearer, it isn't chicken/egg, it is chicken/turkey.

I will say that it is impossible to compare apples and oranges. I really see no use for a trumpet with a flugel mouthpiece. I have never had a playing gig in 45 years where something like that would have even been interesting. A flugel with a trumpet mouthpiece is common in Germany for certain types of military wind ensemble. In those arrangements, it is purely brass and the rotary flugel players get the clarinet parts. They would be no fun on a deep Vee mouthpiece. The trumpet mouthpiece in a flugel is a DESASTER in a jazz setting.

2. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    There's your answer! Put nice and simple.

Gmonady: Your post is wordplay at it's finest!

Kujo

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    This is the answer to the OPs question. All three are important. By themselves they are useless. As the songs goes. "You Can't Have One Without the Other".

4. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    If you have a chicken sandwich with egg on it, is that maybe a form of second hand eating of someones offspring?

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

the flulgel horn sounding like a trumpet ---- NO, that is just BS, plain and simple BS -- I am sure another poster said that!!!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

I won't bother commenting on the woodwind player--- ROFL ROFL ROFL

6. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    While I would NEVER play a flugelhorn with a trumpet mouthpiece, there are a number of pro's who are in favor of the effect of using a flugel-type mouthpiece on a trumpet...one individual claims it is the latest thing in "trumpet geekdom".

I beg your pardon, but a trumpet with a flugel mouthpiece is rather cool...just another means of personal expression.

But, if I want a flugelhorn sound, I'll just pick up my flugelhorn...if I ever find a real one, that is.

7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Excellent! I really like this.

However, if you believe in evolution, the answer is the egg. You had to have development of a cleidoic egg before you get to the chicken.

Obviously, they are both highly important, but I'm going with those who are arguing for the trumpet, regardless of fact, as I'm not about to start a mouthpiece safari. :)

8. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    Neither... It's the player's aural concept. Equipment choices just make it easier to achieve a certain sound.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This sounds like a Can-o-bull question to me. But in this this case both chicken and egg are no longer viable life forms, so eat away without any moral reserve... and that is no bull!

10. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    One thing's for sure: the mouthpiece is more important per $ spent. There's a reason people spend more time trying out mouthpieces than trumpets: because they can afford them!

I can't afford a new trumpet right now, but I probably should go to a store some place and try a bunch of horns. One advantageous thing about trying out trumpets over mps is that you can generally tell more quickly whether it is what you want. (at least, I -think- so)