The chicken or the egg?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Jan 22, 2012.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nope, unless shiny is your goal. If I have to, I can play on just about any horn or mouthpiece. They together create a system that can be logical or problematic.

This type of question does not come up among reasonably developed players. In this particular case, the merit of a flugel mouthpiece on a trumpet was compared to owning a flugelhorn with a matching mouthpiece. In real life, you can do anything you want to - in your bedroom, but getting jobs means work not play.

2. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    I don't know, but it doesn't sound kosher.

3. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    Come on, now, rowuk, you know that if mouthpieces became 10 times more expensive, mathematics prove that the importance per dollar spent on mouthpiece would, in fact, become ten times less! Denying this would be saying the importance of the mouthpieces changes as the price changes! :lol:

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    No, I disagree with the premise entirely. You can get 99% of the work done with the FREE 7C (or similar) that normally comes with decent instruments. Additional expense plays no relation. 10x Free is still free.

There is no chicken or egg. For me there is only a trumpet mouthpiece in a rotary flugelhorn when playing military music and NEVER a flugelhorn mouthpiece in a trumpet. It is not an either or. It is be patient, save your pennies and then go out and do the right thing!

5. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    Thank you for proving that the mouthpiece is infinitely more important than the trumpet for the $$ spent!

(I'm sorry, I just had to do it.)