The Comeback - one year on

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Robbrand, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Robbrand

Robbrand Piano User

Dec 29, 2014
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Just sort of a year ago, at the age of 50, I started my comeback journey after an absence of 25 years. Got my chops back, got bitten by the N +1 bug, acquired a few nice instruments (B&S Challenger 3137, Boosey & Hawkes Imperial 78, French Besson USA 620 cornet, Boosey & Hawkes Imperial flugel), dabbled in (but didn't get seduced by) mouthpiece experimentation. Three months ago I joined a local ensemble, the Cape Town Concert Brass, and played six gigs, including four two-hour outdoors Christmas sessions in four days to thousands of people at the Kirstenbosch National Botanical Gardens (after that, my chops were ready for anything!). I remain just a rank amateur with no pretensions, but man, I'm having fun!Goals for this year: start learning jazz, work through the Jimmy Aebersold book, start jamming with friends; pay more attention to the flugel and aim to become understudy to the pro in my band... third-bench cornet is great but I'd like to do some solo lines once in a while. I reckon I can do another 25 years of this... So to all you come-backers out there: stick with it, it's worth it!

Peter McNeill likes this.
  2. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Yeah a B&S player!

3. Robbrand

Robbrand Piano User

Dec 29, 2014
    Cape Town, South Africa
    The B&S is great - got it in as-new condition off eBay for a song. I've never actually played a Strad so I can't compare but this will do for me.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Isn't that the truth?

5. just

just Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2013
    Everywhere
    Congratulations man! Keep going!

Just

6. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Cool man! I'm 2 years in and loving it. Got some nice horns met some great player and am having a blast.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    This is the reason I continue to play and gig. If it wasn't fun, I'd stop. Yes, the music can be cool. Yes, the extra money I earn with it can come in handy. Ultimately, the reason I continue is because I have a great time with it. There's almost nothing else I'd rather be doing than making music with other like-minded people, and sharing that music with an audience.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Despite the current exacerbation and escalation of my health issues with a short 5 day hiatus, I again persist in practice / playing. Often I ask why? My answer may not be applicable to many, but it works for me. Since my comeback, I've found it's one of the few things I can still do and enjoy. That said, it is not and never has been a money making part time vocation and even as an avocation is "red ink" bound where I spend much more than what meager earnings I derive from it. An accountant's fee to handle my music interests would only worsen the debit side. So it is. what I receive is a gift and treated as such, but it is compared to the gift given me of the ability to produce or re-produce the music in an audible mode. The gift I give in return is that others can hear it and hopefully enjoy it as much as I do.

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I knocked around on guitar for 30+ years and it helped me hang on to sanity. Playing the trumpet again the last 8 years is the best thing I have ever done for my head and soul. Better than drugs and alcohol, and it will most likely outlast my libido! Oh, wait, maybe it already has! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.......ooo!

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And that's what you get for coming here to TM. We do tend to motivate.