the cough

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by sass, Jun 2, 2008.

1. sass

sass New Friend

Apr 7, 2008
    nelson b.c. canada
    Some thing I do that I discovered my self is the cough. I don't know if any one else has talked about this.
    Particularly when I come to a fast run with a rhythmic twist I cough in stead of tonging.
    It is a very light cough that allows my tong and lips to be as relaxed as possible and I get a nice round tone with plenty of attack all the way through. I also notice that I can jump ranges very easily.

I guess it is a type of shallow breath attack.

I could almost play this way all the time, but I don't.

I discovered this when I had just started playing horn and had a cold. A cough hit me just as I went to hit a note and this incredibly articulate short run came out of my cornet. I thought there has to be something there and have worked and played with it ever since.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    A cough is triggered by tension in the throat and that is BAD news-even if your tongue is relaxed. I suggest you use the proven, tried and true articulation forms! The cough is also only possible in one direction making multiple tonguing impossible.
    This is not a good idea. If your cough articulation is better than the standard tonguing, you missed something in lessons.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I've used the "ku" part of "tu ku" by itself in jazz-type solos for a different sound, if that makes any sense. Maybe that's what sass is talking about. I sure wouldn't use it as my regular attack, though.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  4. sass

sass New Friend

Apr 7, 2008
    nelson b.c. canada
    I would not say the cough is better than the regular tonging . It is really interchangeable with tu or ku for tone. Which seems to be what I do.I don't really move my tong. If it is arched for range it stays arched. And as far as tension there is no more tension than a ku attack. It feels like a really far back ku attack.

Now I am puzzled. Rowuk, I don't get the thing about direction of the cough. Maybe you are talking about something I have different terminology for or something that I just don't understand. I think this the info I posted this for, now if I can just get my head around it.