The Daily Routine

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jazzy816, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Jazzy816

Jazzy816 Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    USA
    So rowuk and other frequent posters on TM are advocates for a daily routine. I see the benefit in it and really would like to develop a routine of my own. I read something rowuk once said in regards to the daily routine, I'll try to paraphrase it as best as I can remember. "The use of a daily routine is used to tell me how every aspect of my trumpet playing is doing for that day, and then I can target specific areas based upon my daily routine as well as develop a consistent practice regime to strengthen overall capability." I really like this mentality, among all the other reasons to have a daily routine.

Obviously, none of you know me enough to make an extremely personalized daily routine. Nonetheless, I would appreciate any input from rowuk/ anyone else as to suggestions for things to have in my daily routine, as well as what you use yourself.

If it helps, I'll create a little "about my playing" list. If it doesn't help, then just pretend it's not there :)
    -17 years old
    - I am in all the music groups my high school offers (Marching, Wind Ensemble, Jazz, Pep Band, Pit Orchestra), however, I like/ aim to specialize in jazz/ big band and pit music. I also have intentions of marching DCI, starting summer of 2016
    - My usable range is an F above high C. I would like to add something to the routine that helps with overall range strengthening (not a range-centered routine, but an exercise or two in the routine that helps with strengthening of range would be much appreciated)
    - If I had to pinpoint the weakest aspect of my playing, it would be ascending lip slurs
    - Method books I own: Maggio system, Arban, Clarke, Victor Salva double and triple tonguing exercises, and the Cat Anderson Method

I hope that this thread can both help me in the derivation of my routine, as well as be a good resource for anyone in somewhat of the same boat as me.

Thanks!

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Uhhh, "daily trumpet routine pdf" on Google will get you lots of them.

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Can you post which ones are the good ones, which ones are not? :-) Thanks!

(I found this one a few years ago and I like it: http://www.rustyrussell.com/1930s/1930sRev.pdf )

--bumblebee

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    There are too many "daily routines" out there for me to check out here in cyberland, but I played through and studied a bunch of hard copy published sheet music while getting my degree. In essence, they were all about slurring from one harmonic to another, skipping from one harmonic to another while slurring or tonguing and scale patterns. Arpeggios for range.

5. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Fundamentals should be practiced every day, and not just blow through them like you need to get to some more important study. Fundamentals are fundamental to playing low or high. Absolutely nail the dynamics of any written exercise that you use

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    For this one, you will need to add to all the excellent advice given above. For this one, choose a jazz solo from one of your favorite artists. Transcribe it. Then play through it daily until you have it down in all keys. When done with this one, transcribe the next one and repeat playing it through all keys. When through with that one move on to the next... Go back often to play the prior transcribed phrases. This will develop an improvisational vocabulary.

I also find playing Arbans or Clarks etudes with jazz phrasing (swinging eighths or slurring second to third, fourth to first, eighth note runs) will help as well in developing a jazz vocabulary. Learn more the patterns, not so much the theory.

7. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    A good daily routine gets you mentally ready to play.

8. ♠♥CORNET♣♦

♠♥CORNET♣♦ Pianissimo User

Oct 18, 2014
    New Jersey
    I used to also have similar issues. I once saw a video about practice, and it said that you should not warm up the same way everyday. So mix up your warm up.
    This is my practice routine(note: Sometimes I do a different warm up):
    Warm up:
    ▪Facial expressions. I saw a video where a woman smiles and stuff to warm up-I I'll try to find it for you
    ▪Mouthpiece buzzing
    ▪Leadpipe buzzing
    ▪Long tones (fr om third space C down the chromatic scale until F#)
    ▪Scales
    ▪Technical (Arbans would work fine)
    ▪and sliding
    Practicing:
    ▪SIGHT READ!!!!!Since you are in the Pit orchestra sight reading will help A LOT
    ▪Practice other music
    ▪High notes! They should be last. Chromatic scale and long tones on each chromatic note. If you mess up on the high note stop for a minute and then go back up the chromatic scale and see if you can go further
    Cool Down:
    ▪Do not ever play above an E during cool down
    ▪Scales
    ▪Pedal tones
    ▪Mouthpiece buzzing
    ▪Lip buzzing

9. ♠♥CORNET♣♦

♠♥CORNET♣♦ Pianissimo User

Oct 18, 2014
    New Jersey
  10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Daily routine =
    1) long tones with the mouthpiece and trumpet
    2) easy slurs
    3) scales played softly
    4) easy tunes like a Hymnbook or fakebook

That represents 30-40 minutes and when done EVERY day, is an excellent tool for maintaining consistency and with the easy tunes, to build your jazz melody repertory. Mine serves to keep my playing grounded.

I do NOT recommend technical exercises or range builders in the daily routine! They deserve dedicated time and focus! That does not mean that easy high notes are forbidden. I do play melodies an octave up - just keeping EVERYTHING serious but relaxed!