The dangers of the extreme high register

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bwanabass, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
  2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Right now, there's a thread on TM discussing whether the trumpet is harder than the violin (or other instruments). I'm not sure if it's harder, but this video is proof that it's more dangerous. :-)

Mike

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Ha Ha ... about an Octave short - but that is very funny.
    Very dangerous too = I hope he was playing a lamp.

4. Bwanabass

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    Lol with a mandrel and some solder, he should be able to lampify that baby. Did I just coin a term for the relegation of a brass instrument to lighting duty? Yes, I did.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Driving a car without the proper training and experience is also dangerous. If we are doing the right stuff, high notes are not "hard". The biggest problem is a crap start. The first things that we learn wrong are hard wired in our brain and require constant attention to keep under control.

I read all sorts of posts about trouble in the upper register, but few seem to be willing to invest in the foundation necessary. That is probably an advantage.............

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Sadly, that's right on the money.

Just because a student can play a C scale, you have no idea if how they came to that point included proper training.
    I've been playing for 40 years and still have to remind myself not to do some bad habits I picked up in my first couple years
    of playing.

No data here, but I bet most great players had private lessons early on in their life.
    Talent rarely overcomes lack of instruction.

7. Bwanabass

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    Guys, did you watch the video? It's comedy! Have a laugh! :)

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Uhm yeah --- I can play a 2 minute long triple F and at triple Forte, I have yet to experience anything like you video - I suspect he was using wrong technique. Now you have to learn how to play the low F (below the staff) before you try the triple F. ---- blow low pressure or just blow up ROFL ROFL ROFL

9. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Piano User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    Ah, Low F. The Brown Noise.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Get your head out of the gutter ROFL --- Play the low F# (123 valves) and go way out on the 1st and 3rd valve slides and you to should be able to play a low F ---- with a little practice you can play that in tune at triple forte (most can't, but really you can do it - don't let your mind tell you that you can't