The Descending Blues......by

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Sep 30, 2009.

1. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I beg to differ with you on the issue of arguing with a student -- if a student won't listen to the teacher's more experienced and knowledgeable suggestions but continues to do things incorrectly, the teacher needs to correct the student. That often involves arguing with the student who will reply with why his/her way of doing things is better/easier and won't simply realize that the teacher is more experienced and knowledgeable and perhaps knows what he/she is talking about. I've been teaching private lessons for over 30 years, and most of my students and the area band directors they have played for through the years all think I'm a good teacher, yet there have been quite a few occasions when a student has gotten into an argument with me because he/she thought they knew more than I did. I argue right back and then inform them that if they know more than I do they really shouldn't be paying me to teach them. Most of the time they know they're being pig-headed and back down and usually do what I ask, but a few simply stop taking lessons with me which is fine with me because I want to teach students who are eager to learn what I have to teach and who are willing to be partners with me in helping them find the path to better musicianship and better skills on their instruments.

Not all student/teacher combinations work out simply because not all people are on the same wavelength. When a person finds a person who communicates with them in a manner they understand, as you have with Veery715 and drekkress, then it's a golden moment.

It takes two to argue and a good teacher knows when to argue with a student. I have one student on clarinet who refuses to take his reed off the mouthpiece before putting the instrument away and the mouthpiece smells horrible and the tone isn't good and I am constantly arguing with him to take the reed off and clean the mouthpiece both for hygiene as well as for better tone -- are you really telling me I shouldn't reply with "but it's easier the next time I go to put the instrument together if the reed's already on the mouthpiece" and I should just let him have his way without my attempting to change his ways? Other students have tried the same thing, but as soon as I explain that it shortens the life of the reed, it's unsanitary and it's harmful to the tone, they simply say "Oh - I didn't know that. Sure I'll take the reed off all the time now." But this one student is arguing with me. I'm not one to back down from an argument when I know I'm right. That doesn't make me a bad teacher.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Crow, you are right about a good teacher not being argumentative. That normally doesn't work anyway.

Authorative is something that a good teacher is. Just like here at TM, we get a fair amount of BS. It makes no sense to get into a big discussion. Usually the poster with a superior writing style will "win" regardless of the correctness of the content.

I believe that a good relationship is based on TRUST. If you trust your teacher, you will not necessarily follow them blindly, but ask questions when things crop up. You will TRUST them to help you or help you find the answer elsewhere.

If a student is plain wrong, no discussion. Tell them what needs to be done and follow up. If they are not interested, then there is a problem at a different level. Deal with it, or move on.

If my students come to a lesson (unexcused) unprepared, I send them home. No baby sitting service or club Robinson animation for me. If they called me before because of schoolwork, sickness, etc., then we will play an alternative program like duets for the entire lesson time. I will not spoon feed lesson material.

3. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    The rowuk reply says it all.........as usual. He and some other TMers have been good teachers (as much as you can be from afar) to me over the years, and I'm really greatful. I'll leave it to someone else to introduce a Thread about what makes a "good teacher".

crow

4. derekkress

derekkress Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal Qc Canada
    Thanks! Glad I could help!

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Same here!

6. Sam24

Sam24 New Friend

Feb 11, 2009
    Playing scales in thirds. First triplets then 16th notes...whats so confusing about that?

And on getting confused going up or down...I suggest finding a piano and working it out on there. It helps you visualize, at least it helps me. I dont know what you other, much more competent, trumpeters think about visualizing on piano or not but I find it much easier then thinking valves or notes on a staff.

7. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    thanks sam24........i'm going to start a thread about visualizing on piano.

crow