The Design Of the Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hitman0042, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schwab

Schwab Mezzo Piano User Staff Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Man, you sure got me there, hitman. I always wondered where the "little finger rest" was on my trumpet.

2. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    see i told you the design help out - even for the people that have played for a while now.

3. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    I'm, pretty sure he's being sacastic

Look at the Yamaha link Brekelefuw posted earlier in this thread. It's a lot more detailed and more correct. For one those "valve tubes" are actually valve slides. And the "thumb rest" and "little finger rest" are called the first slide saddle (or first slide throw) and the finger hook, respectively.

Even beginner's method books are more comprehensive and correct than that picture.

CHAMP likes this.
  4. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    ok

5. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    imagine that.

6. Dr. Zink

Dr. Zink Pianissimo User

Feb 8, 2007
    North Coast US
    Actually I think this is a very timely discussion. As of yet there is no complete standardization in terminology for brass instruments. As I understand it even CIMCIM hasn't codified the terminology. Though we may talk about things like lead[er]pipes (I frankly prefer it to mouthpipe) wrap, bell tail, bell bow, crooks etc, (I am loathed to refer to any part of the trumet/cornet as a tube, it just seems so third-gradish) and fully understand what we mean, the organology world is still up in the air and clinging to early 20 cent. British terminology that isn't used anymore. I know, I'm in the process of argueing over an article that I had hoped would appear in the journal of the American Musical Instrument Society (the absurdity has goone too far and I've withdrawn it), and the editor doesn't seem to understand the difference between secondary tuning slides and valve slides. It's really hard to talk about an instrument when there are no standardized terms.

Dr.Z

7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    How can you not refer to them as a tube? That is what they are. Take a look at the Yamaha diagrams I posted on the first page. When going into detail you have to call them tubes, for example: the upper outer first valve slide tube. Technicians have to go into great detail to get the parts they need to order. Yamaha is great in providing 100% detailed diagrams of all the instruments they make so we can easily order exactly what we need.
    That being said, any technician knows that the leadpipe is also called a mouthpipe, the D# keys on woodwinds are the same as calling them Eb Keys, and the bell bow and bell crook are the same.

8. JRFIII

JRFIII Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2008
    New Jersey
    To: Solar Bell, et Mike, Rowuk, Schwab, and any other person who has been bashing Hitman on his threads.

We have a young student here that is very enthusiastic about the horn. Your snide, sarcastic, and effete comments don't help further his development.

Obviously, even those "fortissimo" posters to this site who have chosen to be so rude to a young player cannot even remotely approach the standard of a good guide or teacher. Those of you who have respnded thusly should be ashamed of yourselves for such truly ignorant behavior. Fortissimo can just mean loud. It certainly in this case does not imply that it is appropriate for the setting.

To Hitman:

Don't let the small-minded show-offs here put you off your quest. I trust that the others here that truly love the trumpet and want to have others CONTINUE to enjoy learning and playing will support you.

However, as a young player you must pay more attention to the suggestions that have been offered on all your threads. You have a common trait of youth to want things quickly and only respond to what you want to hear.

So, Hitman, if I am asking the "adults" here to keep an open mind, you must do so as well to mature and benefit from the experience of the group. You should also respect the group by refraining from slang in your responses. While "English" is spoken in England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, the United States of America etc., it is not helpful to universal communications if you stubbornly hold onto your slang. If you want us to include you, you should include us. Just a suggestion.

Good luck and keep practicing and questioning.

9. hornblatt

hornblatt Pianissimo User

Jul 30, 2005
    DC area
    JRFIII:

To be quite honest, sometimes absurdity must be met with humor in order to at least get something out of it. I appriciate the "adult's" humor because I personally am offended that this "kid" gives the rest of us such a bad name. It's not all that hard to make relevent posts in this forum. I don't post too often because I feel that, unless I have a legitimate question or a very thought out view, it's better to listen to those that do and actually learn something. I think I'm a well spoken teen and I'd appriciate some effort from other people my age to try and be so as well.

just my 2 cents.

Annie Lemieux

edcon1981 likes this.
  10. JRFIII

JRFIII Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2008
    New Jersey
    Annie,

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate and acknowledge your post. This will be my last comment on this subject.

I rarely post here, for many of the same reasons you stated.

I'm quite familiar with sarcasm and absurdity. With your appreciation of "adult" humor I am certain that you can understand when one crosses the line to self-aggrandizement or intentional hurtfulness. Right?

Please respectfully consider what follows:

Louis Armstrong didn't have the advantages that you likely have. Do some research. Find out how he got his first cornet. Where, under what circumstances?

Yet I'm concerned that you might take the same attitude towards Louis Armstrong as a youngster if he hypothetically posted on this forum. Especially since he had neither the educational, societal, and economic opportunities nor wrote or spoke as eloquently as you.

Desire,and innate talent can drive a person to great success. History is full of such examples. I understand that Statchmo also did listen to others with more experience along his journey. (You might note I had some constructive comments for Hitman as well in my earlier post.)

So keep your high opinion of yourself as a representative of all your peers if it is well deserved. Otherwise please consider expanding your capabilities for empathy, tolerance, and acceptance.

Any of the other questionable replies in this thread could have been softened and made into a positive response with just a bit more time spent focusing on the sender. It appears that some other posters, (not you, Annie) chose to focus on their alleged superiority.

I would rather participate in these threads when I can encourage/guide someone such as Hitman or yourself to further their skills or humanity. An unkind word can do more than the sender anticipated in stopping the recipient from pursuing their dreams.

That is all, and thanks for being considerate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.