The Difference a Mouthpiece can Make

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lakerjazz, Sep 10, 2010.

1. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Lakerjazz,

Most of my thoughts have been expressed by others already, but I will add do not dismiss Rowuk lightly, it is my opinion that proper breath support is the most important feature of trumpet playing, it does not come naturally for most players and has to be learned. In the 25 years since my comeback at age 47 after a 35 year break of the five teachers I have only one has even touched on breathing and breath support.

The only comment about your friends playing I will make is that there seems to me to be a bit too much vibrato for my ear, I am not a fan of a lot, a little on a long note at the end of a phrase can be tasteful but to use it on every note reminds me of a poorly trained singer that cannot pitch a note properly and covers it by vibrato.

Regards, Stuart.

2. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    stumac,
    I have taken your and Rowuk's comment to heart and will make a more conscious effort to have good air support. Just to be clear- air support means a full tank right? If not, please explain.

Vibrato comment also noted

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    You mean like this guy? He's using an awful lot of vibrato - must be a poorly trained singer. ;-)

YouTube - Pavarotti - Nessun Dorma

4. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Patrick,

Point taken!!!, I know heavy vibrato is a style of singing taught, I read somewhere I dont know how true that Pavarotti could not read music.

Lakerjazz,

Breath support does not mean a full tank although a good supply is necessary. I think the easiest way to explain is that for every note and every dynamic there is a certain air pressure required behind the chops. See www.tresmambo.com.au for a video on blowing pressure and pitch and a link to a paper from the University of New South Wales titled "Blowing pressure, power and spectrum in trumpet playing" by N.H.Fletcher and A.Tarnopolsky.

Regards, Stuart.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    LJ,
    trumpet is a wind instrument. Everything starts with the breath. Breathing is also the area where most of the mistakes are made. That is why I hammer this issue. I have NEVER met a trumpet player that had their breathing down but was lacking elsewhere. The reason for that is how much of the body is involved in breathing and the common denominator between that and our chops.

Every deficit in playing trumpet has a bunch of common symptoms. Those that have seriously taught for a while see these issues often enough and that lets us zero in on the problem behind the symptom. When I am adjudicating a competition or auditions, the first 4 or 5 notes show me the level of preparation and the quality of the students practicing. Even a cracked note is not a problem if I hear the right things around them. A cracked note is only a symptom in context. It can just be a daily form issue too and therefore less relevant.

Now to your playing - you asked me to be specific! Your biggest problem is your breathing. The inhale is too shallow and to brutal - the notes following breathing show me that. The ends of phrases are weak due to that, the higher notes just quit because of that. The semi high notes change sound quality because of that.

The second problem is that you grab phrases here and assume that they apply. With your weak rhythm, you in fact do try to "conquer" the music. If you played with the necessary groove (which requires tons of practice), many things would be easier. Believe me, I do not need your description of what you think about your playing to analyse it, your comments do indicate what would be necessary to fix it.

The first lesson would be to teach you to figuratively look in the mirror and accept what is, not your subjective impression. Once YOU understand that YOU have issues, then YOU start to work on those first.

Proper breathing exercizes, slurs, long tones, scales, solos like this one at half speed with a METRONOME.

After that we work on your PRIDE so that you know how to always put your best foot forward in public.

I do not consider the internet suitable for what you need. The physical, mental, psychological requires a one on one relationship. You have definite strengths. I use those during lessons to keep the fun factor up - necessary for the "beating" you would take for the weaknesses.

Good luck.

6. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    stumac,
    thanks for the help, but the link is broken. I think I understand what you mean though.

rowuk,
    thanks for help, but unfortunately, my ego will never go away. After all I am a trumpet player. :)

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Having a healthy musician's ego is what helps you push through the developmental years - if we really know where we are the in the grand scheme of things, we might be inspired to quit. :D

Recording yourself is both a blessing and a curse - you get immediate feedback and it completely exposes both what you are doing well as well as what you need to improve. But it can also put that ego into perspective - I've been recording myself the last few days (vocally) and wow - talk about a reality check! But, I've also tightened a lot of things up in that short amount of time.

8. wolfmann

wolfmann Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2010
    As far as advice to your friend is concerned his articulation and phrasing needs to be worked on.
    Hold the note till the END,he kinda goes soft and sometimes doesn't finish a half beat or more too soon.
    Im sure there are a ton of vids out there and most likely Sousa has one,play along with it and see where your lacking.
    The SSB is NOT a jazz tune as much as many try to make it be,most people mess it up including the VERY famous,Its like they have to do something MORE than the last person.I saw a very famous singer go free form so to speak at the end for about 8 bars,even the band got lost and it ended pretty bad.

Be able to PLAY the tune RIGHT before you PLAY around with it.

And the MP?
    I always used my old one and used only the new for practice for a few months before I tried it in the bands,many never made it to band level ROFL

Maynard had something about MPs on Youtube
    I forget exactly what he said but it went something like this
    "yeah you will sound good for about 8 bars,then pay for it by the end of the evening"
    "You might even need medication and we dont wanna go there do we?"
    :play:

9. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    The SSB is one you don't want to mess up...or with. Two worst versions I've ever heard sung were Rose Ann Barr and Macy Gray. They both butchered it, but at least Barr got the words right:dontknow::roll::oops: