The Difference a Mouthpiece can Make

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lakerjazz, Sep 10, 2010.

1. F.E.Olds

F.E.Olds Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2010
    How are you able to stop the swelling 15-20 minutes into playing?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't. I just use a slightly deeper mouthpiece that gives me a bit more room.

If I was playing lead 3-4 days a week, my body would probably start to cooperate.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    of course rowuk has his own opinions -- but as he once stated "€this is an anonymous forum" -- so do you really need to listen to him? after all who is he? That being said - I found that a switch between a Bach 3C and an Asymmetric 3C+544 is a bit different for me. the Asymmetric being much easier to use, and endurance lasting much longer on that than a regular 3C. So I think if the mouthpiece is easier, and you feel your tone and playing is better and more enjoyable -- I say make the switch -- and be happy, play and enjoy yourself.

4. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    The way I control my lip swelling is, I buy 2 of the same mouthpiece and keep one in ice and then switch them out every 10 to 15 minutes. ROFL

I have the same problem with a shallow cup mouthpiece. I have full lips and it feels like my lip gets stuck in the cup after about 10 to 15 minutes.
    Rowuk is right concerning breath support. It was the same with my vocal teacher and acting teacher. It all begins with breath support. When you focus on it you begin to notice a difference.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Dude, that's pretty harsh. Do your research. He has been places we've never been or thought of going. Rowuk is right 99.98% of the time (I cover the other.02% ;P).

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  6. wolfmann

wolfmann Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2010
    Kingtrumpet for whatever reason has a beef with this board and is simply using internet troll tactics to thumb his nose at people here.
    I would also hazard a guess he has been banned in the past and most likely using more than one handle at this time. ROFL

DUDE grow up.

You sound like your 14 and NOT 41 like you claim.

My rant is over.

Carry on :play:

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    OK here goes. very nice tone and vibrato. Good air support. But it's too slow. Sounds like a funeral march. Try it at quarter note = 88 to 100mm.
    Listen to the Marine Band. In my opinion it's the only way to play it. As for the ending - nice note choices but not for the SSB. When you play the National Anthem it's about saluting the flag. Anything that detracts from that is not acceptable. It's not about you. It's about the FLAG!!

8. Fishgun

Fishgun Pianissimo User

Sep 26, 2009
    And a little cranky 100% of the time ;-)

But hey, he's earned it :-)

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Not sure if he's really cranky or as a moderator tires of the banality of some of the posts.

He has definitely earned it!