The Difference a Mouthpiece can Make

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lakerjazz, Sep 10, 2010.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I listened and I agree with Bob. When I hear it done properly, it brings tears to my eyes. I could hardly wait for your friend to finish. Technically fine. Artistically, schmaltzy :thumbdown: . Maybe I'm a key snob but I always think is sounds best in concert Ab (don't forget that Eb in the middle :-)). Heard it "sung" at a game this summer, wish I had taped it but I would have needed another gig of memory it was sooooo long ( it would a made the list).

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Hey man - it looks like you've got something on your nose, kinda brown. :lol:

I think that Rowuk wants everyone to believe he's earned it, but I think he's like hundreds, possibly even thousands of trumpet players who have done a lot of playing and performing across multiple genres of music and in some pretty upscale ensembles over the years - he's certainly not the only one, and dare I say that there are a lot of other folks on these boards who have every bit of experience and prestige he has, plus some. Manny Laureano is one of the first to come to mind, Joey Tartell is another, Pat Harbison is a third and Wilmer Wise rounds it out as a fourth. (No particular order on them, nor is that list all inclusive.) All of them have been there, done that, got the T-shirt, but none of them come across with the same kind of exasperated attitude.

Just sayin....

Heck, for that matter if I started to list off my performance resume, done the right way it looks downright impressive. However, I don't have the same level of formal training, and being mostly self-taught, I can list off things that have helped me over the years, but you won't ever see me coming across with an attitude that what I know is the only or best way to approach something.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    HAHA! I was referencing his moderating and that he's willing to do it. I do think he can be overly blunt and extremely rigid which was hard to take at first, but when I saw he was/is that way with everyone I stopped taking it personally. I certainly don't agree with all he espouses. Since I got you here, know any teachers in the Richmond, Va area? Have a good one.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    When this site first came into creation, I was one of the first members and a moderator of the equipment forum. I got booted as a mod because the ownership of the site changed hands and the new owner wanted to bring on well known players to moderate - but that was several years back. I had a fairly long hiatus from the site - couple of years - and in that time Rowuk became a moderator - not sure how that came about. Having said that, being a moderator here wasn't that difficult and rarely required any kind of intervention on my part, but then again, everyone also knew my style - keep it civil and keep out the profanity - that's basically all I asked for, and most of the time, I PMed the offending posters and asked them to moderate themselves before trouncing on a post or a thread.

Again, just sayin....

Richmond - don't really know anyone down that way, but if you were willing to drive up toward DC an hour or so, you could find a number of current or retired trumpet players from the premier military bands who teach.

5. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have 3 kids and they like to ask me the same questions all the time. I love them to death but it does get frustrating at times.

The other thing from my experience is some people are always looking for a shortcut and don't want to put the time and effort in to do it right and it doesn't matter how many talented people tell them.

So many times I read new posts about what mouthpiece or horn will make someone play better, it's people like Rowuk and others here on TM that take the time to give sound, "Free" advice to them only to be asked the question again in a different way from the same person hoping for a different result. It's got to be frustrating at times.

So to Rowuk and the others that take the time to help us here on Trumpet Master I say, Thank you!

-Robert

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    actually wolfmann -- kingtrumpet hasn't been banned, and actually disagrees with rowuk sometimes, and says such. kingtrumpet also agrees with rowuk at different times and states that also.

this is a forum such that if everyone agreed with each other -- then the forum would be --well unnecessary

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    tobylou8,
    you are correct - rowuk (Robin) has been many places I haven't, can probably play better than I ever will, he can teach, consult, and excel at being a systems analyst. I am certain that he is fluent in more than 2 languages (ie. German, English, and ?), and I only know english.
    I try to air most harshness in private messages with him. (that is when I can figure out these computer things) -- oh rowuk is better at computers than I am also.
    there isn't much disputing that Rowuk has more experience and knowledge -- I merely express my viewpoint and my experiences.
    ..the dispute is usually in regards to-- teaching (oh rowuk is a teacher also - I am not), I feel that I wasn't taught (when I was younger) some fundamental principles of trumpet playing in the public school system - and learned about range, endurance and such as a comeback player many years later. that is why I try to encourage people to take the time to practice, learn and play properly ---- if they find a good trumpet teacher -- that is awesome -- and if they don't -- they should know the difference.

people (LIKE WOLFMANN) obviously disagree with me -- so can you

I bet rowuk will support my opinion to disagree with him -- even though I might be wrong

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I disagree with Rowuk all the time - not really an odd thing either - we have different approaches to the horn and for different reasons. We also agree on a lot of stuff trumpet related because in some things trumpet related we completely see eye to eye. That's just the way it goes.

I encourage everyone on the board here that thinks that anyone is beyond reproach to think again - no one is beyond reproach.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Well my story is very similar to your own. A lack of basic skills wasn't an issue but mouthpiece selection was. As a senior in high school, I was using the same mpc I started on in 5th grade.So I understand not believing something simply because a"teacher" says it. I don't know the backstory concerning you and Rowuk. It just seemed your comment was a little harsh thats all. If there's more to the story, sorry. I don't agree Him and some other teachers on this forum about picking a mouthpiece. They are entitled to there opinion, no matter how wrong ;-)! I am not here to disagree with people but to learn and grow through the exchange of ideas and experiences. If I can be of assistance to a poster I will, and if I can learn, I hope to do that too.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I agree with trickg, and on many other posts I also stated for the record that I often agree with rowuk.